TR-07 Concept

Forum for boutique synths
Stormchild

TR-07 Concept

Post by Stormchild »

Here's my concept of a Boutique version of the TR-707. I don't know how many people would actually want this, and I doubt they'll make it, but it was a fun little project. Click for larger image.

Since it's sample-based, it doesn't need a lot of DSP power, so it made sense to me to include both the TR-707 and TR-727 sounds to make it a bit more compelling. I left out the old LCD display with the pattern grid, as it would either be small and hard to read, or take up too much space (and in any case is probably difficult to reproduce). Instead, I included sliders for both sets of sounds, with a separate total accent control for each set. The sliders are the same size as the ones in the SH-01A, but spaced further apart (about an extra 40%) to make them nicer to use.

An extra button in the Pattern section lets you directly select instruments from the 707 and 727 sound sets, which I think makes more sense than having to toggle between modes. The extra button also makes it possible to move the "Cycle/Guide" function to the Track side where it belongs (assuming it works the same way as the Cycle/Guide feature on the TR-909, which is only available in Track mode). There's also an extra button for Menu (needed for all the Boutiques) and Trigger Out — which, just like the TR-08 and TR-09, is its own "instrument", and has a front-panel jack.
AndrewHenderson

Re: TR-07 Concept

Post by AndrewHenderson »

YES! I LOVE IT!

Now we are talking! Looking over your mock up brought a huge smile to my face. I really liked how you kept the colouring accurate between the orange 707 and blue 727, for easy distinction between the two. Same with the bottom instrument listing, where you show each button containing sounds in the same fashion and again, colour coded.

Man, if this actually came out, I would be absolutely floored and it would be a day one buy for me. The little changes you are promoting, to be more user friendly and more like the TR-09 are brilliant and if they offered compression etc, as an added bonus to really help things come alive, this thing would be an absolute killer machine to have.

Please Roland, take this seriously, I beg you!
Stormchild

Post by Stormchild »

I looked into submitting this to Roland, but the inquiries page on their Japanese site clearly says they don't accept ideas for new products, as it can lead to problems if they happen to be developing a similar product. Pretty standard stuff.

I'll just say…Roland: if you come across this and think it's a good idea, you are welcome to use my design. I'm not looking for a cut of the profits. Just send me a free one when it's done and we're good!
Fanug

Post by Fanug »

Well done, I would buy it! :)