Trigger cable length - does it matter?

Forum for boutique synths
AndrewHenderson

Trigger cable length - does it matter?

Post by AndrewHenderson »

Hello.

I currently have a TR-09 and am looking into getting the SH-01a, mainly for its ability to use the internal sequencer, triggered from the TR-09. My question is about the cable type needed, to hook the two up together.

My current setup isn't the most ideal and the TR-09 and the SH-01a, will not be directly beside each other. From reading around, I understand the cable needs to be a mono 3.5mm/1/8", but does length matter? Some of the pictures and videos I see, have the cables looking really short in length, since the units are side by side, but this will not work for me and I think I will need a cable at least 3+ft in length.

Will using a cable that is too long, have any issues because of this? I am afraid of voltage/signal strength not being clean enough to keep the two units stable together and am also afraid that there may be timing issues, in keeping things in sync tightly, if the trigger cable is too long?

What is the consensus on this? What is the recommended and max length for the trigger cable and is there anything else I need to know in type of cable to use? Is there a special type, gauge, or manufacturer to look into?

If anyone has any links to exact cable that are good to use for the trigger, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for so much any time and effort in replying to this message.
Stormchild

Re: Trigger cable length - does it matter?

Post by Stormchild »

Any length of cable should be fine. The only reason people use short ones is to avoid having a bunch of cable clutter when patching things that are close together.
AndrewHenderson

Re: Trigger cable length - does it matter?

Post by AndrewHenderson »

Stormchild wrote:Any length of cable should be fine. The only reason people use short ones is to avoid having a bunch of cable clutter when patching things that are close together.
Thank you so much for the answer, I really appreciate it! Good to know that I can grab just about anything and be on my way!