JU-06A- MIDI out- worst product ever?!

Forum for boutique synths
FraidSo

JU-06A- MIDI out- worst product ever?!

Post by FraidSo »

Hi,
So I’ve just bought the JU-06A. I quickly discovered that unlike my previous Boutiques (JP-08, JX-03) it has its own driver, which is not compatible with my studio Mac Pro running El Capitan. That’s fair enough- it’s an old OS but there are numerous reasons why I haven’t- and won’t be- upgrading any time soon.

Not a problem though, surely, as I’ll just use the built in MIDI ports. How wrong could I be?!! The issue is that partly due to the lack of Local On/ Off functionality and the fact that the out port seems to also act as a thru, the unit is seemingly completely incapable of being used traditionally as a MIDI I/o device in a DAW (Cubase Pro 10). As soon as you try and use the JU-06A to transmit and record CC data so you can start automating, all hell breaks loose! A huge MIDI loop is created and the Unit starts to send just about every type of midi message there is. This starts to completely take over what’s already been recorded due to the 4 voice limitation and controller data is impossible to enter. I can’t quite believe that the product can be this flawed and unfit for purpose, and I’ve had no reply at all from Roland support. I’d love to know what people here think of this issue? Faulty unit, or simply one of the worst designed products ever?!

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts or input you might be able to provide?!

Dan