SH-01a Doesn't Stay on Selected Patch

Forum for boutique synths
slim_pkns

SH-01a Doesn't Stay on Selected Patch

Post by slim_pkns »

I'm really frustrated with my SH-01a. I like the sound of the BS House Bass (2-1) patch, but I can't get it to stay on 2-1 while I work on my sequences. Every time I stop the sequence for a minute or so and start it again, the SH-01a goes back to the default 1-1 patch!

I am using the MC-707 as the sequencer and MIDI controller for all my various hardware synthesizers. I have the SH-01a setup on MIDI channel 4 using the MC-707 track #6 (probably not important, but included for full description). On the SH-01a, I press the Menu button, then 1, then switch to bank 2, and finally press 1 to select patch 2-1 and it shows the correct patch number on the screen. I select Menu again and I'm back at the sequencer (the screen shows ---- because I'm using MIDI from the MC-707). I press a keypad on the MC-707... the right patch plays and everything is fine. Then I go to work on a different track on the MC-707 and when I start the sequence again, the SH-01a is back to patch 1-1 without me selecting it or making any changes.

How can I select a patch on the SH-01a and get it to stay on that patch until I want to change it?
jicamasalad

Re: SH-01a Doesn't Stay on Selected Patch

Post by jicamasalad »

I can't be sure about this without trying to set up my machines in the same way, but on the surface it sounds like the MC-707 is sending patch change info to the SH-01A when you hit play on your sequence.

Without having the manual in front of me to verify, I would suggest seeing if you can disable patch change transmission on the 707, or ignore patch change MIDI commands on the SH-01A.

If you're not familiar with it, Sunshine Jones has a great "missing manual" for the SH-01A, which has much more info about the MIDID modes than the official Roland manual. It can be found here:

http://sunshine-jones.com/sh-01a-the-mi ... ue-sh-01a/

Best of luck - if I get a chance to check this out I'll return with an update.

kS
slim_pkns

Post by slim_pkns »

Thanks for that, but I thought the same thing. I'll continue to look at that, but I didn't see anything that related to patch/bank/preset, so I was focused on "program change"? I'm basically going through all the MIDI stuff and trying to eliminate the variables to narrow it down in case it's MIDI.

If you happen to see anything specific that might work, please let me know. I was hoping this forum was monitored by Roland support and they might respond, but I don't think they do. I also thought that since the MC-707 and SH-01a are both Roland products, it would be pretty obvious how to do this.
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

Pretty certain it IS MIDI, since the symptom is that when you hit play, and send MIDI to the SH-01A, the program changes.

Here's something to try:

First, select the tone track on the 707 you are using as the sequencer track to control the SH-01A;
Now hit [Shift} and that track select button again to get into the track settings functions.
You'll see three tabs: General, EQ and MIDI - scroll over to the MIDI tab.
In the MIDI tab if you scroll down you will see "Tx MIDI Program Change" - turn that to OFF.

Select the sound you want on the SH-01A, and hit play on the 707; the 707 should no longer transmit the program change which was resetting the SH-01A back to B1-P1.

Let us know if that works for you.

ps: This is assuming you are running the latest version of firmware on the 707, which has expanded MIDI functions per track, including the Program Change motion. This is why it is not mentioned in the original Reference Manual (on pages 20-21, by the way).

Hope this helps,
kS
slim_pkns

Post by slim_pkns »

Thanks! Yes, it was the random MIDI "TX Control Change" that appears to be doing it. It doesn't really make sense to me. I've tried other CC messages and can't make a tack change or tone change work... but somehow this annoying message just sets the tack and tone back to 1-1! My problem is solved, but I've started a new "feature request" thread to ask for a real MIDI CC message to select a track and/or tone for the Boutique line of synthesizers.

Please leave a message and contribute. Maybe Roland engineers will add it to firmware update.
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

Many people have requested MIDI only tracks for the MC707. It's probably technically possible to have the 8 normal tracks, and switch the grid with a function key to an additional 8 MIDI only tracks. If Roland implement this for the MC707 as some point, there will likely be Clip parameters that set MIDI program number and MIDI bank number, and possibly 3 MIDI cc send and 3 MIDI cc recieve params. At that point, your MIDI problems would be over!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

jicamasalad wrote: 18:24, 5 April 2021 I can't be sure about this without trying to set up my machines in the same way, but on the surface it sounds like the MC-707 is sending patch change info to the SH-01A when you hit play on your sequence.

Without having the manual in front of me to verify, I would suggest seeing if you can disable patch change transmission on the 707, or ignore patch change MIDI commands on the SH-01A.

If you're not familiar with it, Sunshine Jones has a great "missing manual" for the SH-01A, which has much more info about the MIDID modes than the official Roland manual. It can be found here:

http://sunshine-jones.com/sh-01a-the-mi ... ue-sh-01a/

Best of luck - if I get a chance to check this out I'll return with an update.

kS

Many thanks for this post jicamasalad!!
Great work by Sunshine-jones on this!! really helpful

Cheers,
PauloF