How do you get TB 03 to play sequences from Ableton using MX1

Forum for boutique synths
Filter808

How do you get TB 03 to play sequences from Ableton using MX1

Post by Filter808 »

Hi all

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

I'm a mac user with a TB-03 connected to an MX1 which is connected to Ableton 9. How do I get the TB-03 to play midi sequences from Ableton? I basically want to use it as a sound module so I can play midi patterns from Ableton. At the moment, the internal patterns from the TB 03 seem to be taking over. Not sure which mode to put TB 03 into - usb? How do I get the midi data i can see in Ableton to trigger notes in the tB 03?

Many thanks
GMayle

Re: How do you get TB 03 to play sequences from Ableton using MX1

Post by GMayle »

The easiest way to do it is to save pattern 1 bank 1 on the TB-03 as a blank pattern, no notes or rests etc. I can record the TB03's sequences into Ableton, store them as MIDI clips, then just pick them at a later date to play back. Sometimes the clips may incorporate a MIDI program number that's not a default. This can change the pattern on the TB03 from the default first pattern (blank) to a different one. If so just set it to bank 1 program 1 and it will select the TB03 first pattern. That's the easiest way to do it.
Filter808

Post by Filter808 »

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, this seems to make sense - I need a blank bank in the TB03 as at the moment it's getting confused with the internal and the Ableton pattern.

I'll give this a go.

Thanks
Filter808

Post by Filter808 »

Many thanks1 This works!

What seemed to be important in hearing any audio was selecting in the outs usb3 mx1 rather than usb 3 mix ctrl. I'm really not sure what the difference is between these.

Many thanks - much appreciated.
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

No problem. If you've got the Cloud TB-303, you can randomise 303 sequences, or make really long 303 sequences, write them to a MIDI track, then point the MIDI track to your TB-03. You can then use Ableton to alter Cutoff, Res, Decay etc while the sequence is playing. It can make some crazy intricate 303 licks!
Filter808

Post by Filter808 »

Sorry for the delay replying to you.

I've not gone down the Roland Cloud route yet - must look into it.

Many thanks