JD-08 Issues

Forum for boutique synths
rmfmusic

Re: JD-08 Issues

Post by rmfmusic »

realtrance wrote: 03:12, 15 February 2022
rmfmusic wrote: 15:59, 10 February 2022 Update:

Received 2nd unit from retailer to replace first unit.

2nd unit has all of the same issues as the first unit.

4 brand new audio cables - all work with patches A11-88 and B11-18, doesnt work on B21-35. The cables work with the JU-06a with no issues. Internal speaker works for all patches.

Scoured the manual and even downloaded the JD-800 manual to see if there was something in there that the JD-08 manual is missing. I cant find anything.

The only thing that I can come up with is that there is an audio routing issue (software). I dont use audio or midi through USB but I may try it to see if all the patches work through USB. Not really sure how to set that up but will work on it this weekend.

It's frustrating that Roland support has been piss poor. Their latest idea was to send in and have a "master technician" look it over. I think I'll wait for another firmware update before we do that.

***As far as the ground loop issue, I have not experienced that with either unit, nor my JU-06A (not sure if there was a problem with that unit)
Have you tried switching the JD-08 to Part B? Hold the Note button then select B on the Tones on the left (of A,B,C,D). The JD-08 has two parts, and defaults to playing part A most of the time. It could be those are part B patches. Just a suggestion.
Yes, I tried that...still nothing. Roland support has gone silent now. 2 weeks have passed since my last response. Very disappointed in their support.
mr_sound_

Post by mr_sound_ »

Hey!

i MAY have found your solution!

I'm glad I found your post, because I was having the exact same problem. Doing the same troubleshooting as you, you mentioned its an issue with the main Audio Output, because the patches sound fine thru the JD-08 built-in speakers.

Sure enough... when I removed my 1/8" cable out of my JD-08 I realized I'm using a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve: speaker cable) not an TS (Tip Sleeve: instrument cable). You are too! I did my own test.. if you have the TRS 1/8" jack plugged half way in, you will get the Mono sound you're supposed to hear. I suggest you getting a TS 1/8" to w/e like I will.

I'm no audio technician expert, but I'm sure it has to do with the fact the JD-08 is Mono Out instead of stereo (L/R), so when the TRS flips/inverts the audio as stereo and uses the extra Ring (right) signal the polarity flip legit cancels the audio and you hear nothing.

I reaaaaaaally hope this works!
Attachments
TRS
TRS
Screenshot (12).png (259.83 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
AndrewHenderson

Post by AndrewHenderson »

mr_sound_ wrote: 22:55, 28 February 2022 Hey!

I'm glad I found your post, because I was having the exact same problem. Doing the same troubleshooting as you, you mentioned its an issue with the main Audio Output, because the patches sound fine thru the JD-08 built-in speakers.

Sure enough... when I removed my 1/8" cable out of my JD-08 I realized I'm using a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve: speaker cable) not an TS (Tip Sleeve: instrument cable). You are too! I did my own test.. if you have the TRS 1/8" jack plugged half way in, you will get the Mono sound you're supposed to hear. I suggest you getting a TS 1/8" to w/e like I will.

I'm no audio technician expert, but I'm sure it has to do with the fact the JD-08 is Mono Out instead of stereo (L/R), so when the TRS flips/inverts the audio as stereo and uses the extra Ring (right) signal the polarity flip legit cancels the audio and you hear nothing.

This is an awesome find, but is this really the case? To start, is the JD-08, really a 'mono' instrument?! I highly doubt that. The original was stereo and this thing screams stereo, with all the movement possible, in the patches. If it is mono, are the effects mono, too?!

The other Boutique were all stereo! Even the SH-01A, was 'dual mono', meaning a TRS cable, worked just fine.

Anyone else, to chime in here?
ddpmusic

Post by ddpmusic »

Yes The JD-08 is Stereo. Is in the Manual specifications. TRS 1/8"
AndrewHenderson

ddpmusic wrote: 03:36, 1 March 2022 Yes The JD-08 is Stereo. Is in the Manual specifications. TRS 1/8"
This is what I thought. Using a TS cable may appear to remedy this problem, but you are actually sacrificing imaging by doing this and going against, what the manual states?

I am having a hard time getting a JD-08, but I hope to be able to use my Mogami Y cable, which has a TRS end, on the 1/8" side, the same as I have used on all my Boutique, without issues.
mr_sound_

Post by mr_sound_ »

AndrewHenderson wrote: 02:30, 1 March 2022
mr_sound_ wrote: 22:55, 28 February 2022 Hey!

This is an awesome find, but is this really the case? To start, is the JD-08, really a 'mono' instrument?! I highly doubt that. The original was stereo and this thing screams stereo, with all the movement possible, in the patches. If it is mono, are the effects mono, too?!

The other Boutique were all stereo! Even the SH-01A, was 'dual mono', meaning a TRS cable, worked just fine.

Anyone else, to chime in here?
Whoops! Just found out it IS stereo. I made that assumption because it a solo jack as an output. This is the first boutique I've ever owned, and all my other gear is dual output (L/R). I also forgot to mention I used a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TRS. Not dual.

So with that figured out, when I bought my new cables today I made sure to buy 1/8" to DUAL 1/4" Y cable.

...And Voila!

My issue was fixed. Hope OP gets the same results.
Attachments
use these..jpeg
use these..jpeg (90.17 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
dont use these..jpg
dont use these..jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
AndrewHenderson

That Y 'Insert' cable, is exactly what I use, from Mogami. I am glad this is working, so I shouldn't have a problem using that same cable, with my JD-08, whenever I am able to get it!

Thanks for confirming!

Still strange though, how a cable will work with some patches, but not others? You think it is an all, or nothing ordeal!
mr_sound_

Post by mr_sound_ »

AndrewHenderson wrote: 20:54, 2 March 2022 That Y 'Insert' cable, is exactly what I use, from Mogami. I am glad this is working, so I shouldn't have a problem using that same cable, with my JD-08, whenever I am able to get it!

Thanks for confirming!

Still strange though, how a cable will work with some patches, but not others? You think it is an all, or nothing ordeal!
While using the non-Y Cable i did encounter some other issues too. The overall volume sounded low, so I always had to crank it on my mixer. Some patches had some phasing issues, like patch A.53 "Ac. Piano 1". And even Patch A.54 "Modular Bass" didn't output sound like OP's original problem.
I tried explaining how TRS cables work in my first post, and knowing now the JD-08 really is stereo, it makes more sense now. When a stereo signal travels thru a single TRS jack into a mixer the polarity cancels out the sound (destructive interference), phase issues, and low volume.
gridsleep

Post by gridsleep »

No USB MIDI response was the only JD-08 issue I was having. Perusing the manual led to the discovery of MIDI setting r.KEY, which should be set to USB if you want to send keyboard control signals over the USB-C wire. I was able to use the NOTE keyboard properly. Now the external MIDI keyboard works perfectly, too, via USB-C. I am using Windows 10 and MIDI-OX to test. If you are having no external keyboard control via USB, check that the r.KEY MIDI setting is on USB and not MIDI. Audio from JD-08 through USB-C works properly, too, as long as you have the driver installed and have the device in your audio list set to listen.
jlar

Post by jlar »

Can you play both Part A and Part B at the same time in a Split or Dual mode? This is possible on the JX-08 but on the JD-08 it appears it's only multi-timbral when the sequencer is playing one of the parts. Am I just missing how to do this??? This is disappointing coming from the JX-08, which is great in Dual/Split mode. Thanks!