JD-08 "patch remain" issue

Forum for boutique synths
carpenzano

JD-08 "patch remain" issue

Post by carpenzano »

I have read that JD-08 has the 'patch remain' feature, i.e. holding down keys of a sound and changing to another patch retains all of the effects of the previous sound"s held notes and allows playing other notes with the new sound; one can even use the sustain pedal to hold notes, switch to the new sound and use both hands on the new sound with no sustain.
Well, I've just received my new JD-08 and have found out that such feature is present on Part B (so I can change a Part B preset without interrupting the sound) but NOT ON PART A (so, when I cange a Part A preset the sound stops abruptly even though I have not lifted my fingers from the keyboard).
Does anyone know the reason why? Is it a bug in my device or in the JD-08 in general? Is there a way to make Part A working as Part B in this respect?
Thanks very much
AndrewHenderson

Re: JD-08 "patch remain" issue

Post by AndrewHenderson »

Oh, now this is shit.

I know the JX-08, also offered such functionality and I think it is great, not having to worry about the sound abruptly cutting off, the moment you change patches. It makes for a much more seamless transition.

Why it works on B and not A, is anyone's guess. Sounds odd to me, why it wouldn't work on both. Unless there is a technical reason, I would say it is a bug and should be fixed, in a future update. I am still waiting on my JD-08 and although I am glad for this heads up, I am not happy about it.

Contact support and have them aware of this. Hopefully it can get remedied.
Foksadure

Post by Foksadure »

AndrewHenderson wrote: 20:03, 29 January 2022Why it works on B and not A, is anyone's guess. Sounds odd to me, why it wouldn't work on both.
Most likely because Part A has the CPU heavy exclusive JD-800 Group-B Chorus + Delay + Reverb FX.

https://static.roland.com/manuals/jd-08 ... 12186.html
AndrewHenderson

Wow, so in 2022, they chose an underpowered cpu, that can't deliver on the full experience, the unit was designed to offer?

I hope this isn't the case and it is simply a bug.
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

AndrewHenderson wrote: 00:36, 31 January 2022 I hope this isn't the case and it is simply a bug.
Me too!
Thanks to all.
I have written to Roland support and am waiting for an answer.
Foksadure

Post by Foksadure »

AndrewHenderson wrote: 00:36, 31 January 2022Wow, so in 2022, they chose an underpowered cpu, that can't deliver on the full experience, the unit was designed to offer?
Same "limitation" on the Jupiter-X or Xm.
The Group-B effect is like an extra MFX block, with Chorus + Delay + Reverb, that's exclusive to the JD-800 model.
Imagine you're switching from a patch whith Block-B arranged as Chorus -> Delay -> Reverb to another one with Delay -> Reverb -> Chorus.
How's the engine supposed to deal with the tails if he can't run 2 instances of Group-B at once?

ZEN-Core subsystem has this functionality where they can dedicate a full DSP core (aka Zone) to a specific calculation hungry engine or FX.
Think RD-Piano on the Jupiters, or Virtual Tone Wheel on the Fantoms.

Can't ask an all taxes included $400 battery/USB powered device to be more powerful than those.
AndrewHenderson

Foksadure wrote: 09:31, 31 January 2022
AndrewHenderson wrote: 00:36, 31 January 2022Wow, so in 2022, they chose an underpowered cpu, that can't deliver on the full experience, the unit was designed to offer?
Same "limitation" on the Jupiter-X or Xm.
The Group-B effect is like an extra MFX block, with Chorus + Delay + Reverb, that's exclusive to the JD-800 model.
Imagine you're switching from a patch whith Block-B arranged as Chorus -> Delay -> Reverb to another one with Delay -> Reverb -> Chorus.
How's the engine supposed to deal with the tails if he can't run 2 instances of Group-B at once?

ZEN-Core subsystem has this functionality where they can dedicate a full DSP core (aka Zone) to a specific calculation hungry engine or FX.
Think RD-Piano on the Jupiters, or Virtual Tone Wheel on the Fantoms.

Can't ask an all taxes included $400 battery/USB powered device to be more powerful than those.
Yes, I see your point and agree, but at the same time, it is frustrating to see that these are nothing more than repurposed products, that are already out... warts and all. Nothing more than their VSTs, put into a hardware box. With the limitations, lack of updates, now non ACB based and still plagued by the USB ground loop noise, I am starting to become disenchanted with these newer Boutique and I know, I'm not alone.
ddpmusic

Post by ddpmusic »

The USB ground loop noise (mid freq) thru the Line Out is a real huge issue.
AndrewHenderson

ddpmusic wrote: 07:12, 2 February 2022 The USB ground loop noise (mid freq) thru the Line Out is a real huge issue.
Yup. I hate it. Been struggling with it, for years.
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

This is the answer I have received from the Roland Support:
"In my understanding, patch remain is not an advertised feature of the JD-08. Where did you read that?
It can be replicated to work, just as you describe, only on Part B. This most certainly has to do with the extended effects routing of Part A.
So there is no reason to suspect that there is anything faulty with your particular unit.
That said, I have send a feature request to the engineering team in Japan. This without being able to promise that this is something we could ever change.
"
AndrewHenderson

carpenzano wrote: 17:57, 13 February 2022 This is the answer I have received from the Roland Support:
"In my understanding, patch remain is not an advertised feature of the JD-08. Where did you read that?
It can be replicated to work, just as you describe, only on Part B. This most certainly has to do with the extended effects routing of Part A.
So there is no reason to suspect that there is anything faulty with your particular unit.
That said, I have send a feature request to the engineering team in Japan. This without being able to promise that this is something we could ever change.
"
Thanks for the info. I am reading the last line as "this is something we will never change", but ya.