Boutique popping and crackling over USB in Logic

Forum for boutique synths
Tim Ovington

Boutique popping and crackling over USB in Logic

Post by Tim Ovington »

Hello
This is my first post and I understand that this subject has been discussed in various forums but I haven't quite got the answer.
Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere on here.

I am running Logic Pro X with three Boutique's over USB audio.
An SH-01a, JU-06a and a JD-08.
I have an audio output for each of them into a small passive mixer running to my main mixer. I also but a small ground loop isolator in line but I dont think the audio is the issue.

People talk about the midi ground loop and the noise this generates.
what I'm experiencing is a popping and crackling over audio when the units are switched on.
I have no idea how to solve it.

The work around is currently to just sample the parts i want with nothing else running. Get them into audio so i can switch the boutique off ASAP.
This is obviously ridiculous and not how they're designed to be used.

I'm running a Skarlett 4i4 and powered USB hub. I also use a n M-Audio oxygen Pro 49 controller. not sure if this is relevant but worth mentioning.

i've got to the point where I'm considering binning all 3 as I cant have them running constantly.

Any help would be great. Thanks
jicamasalad

Re: Boutique popping and crackling over USB in Logic

Post by jicamasalad »

Hi there,

I don't use my Boutiques in the way you're describing, but whenever I hear folks talk about "popping" or "crackling" it makes me think of mis-matched sample rates. USB audio for Boutiques is fixed at 44.1kHz - is it possible your Logic session is set up at 48k or some other sample rate? That would most likely cause the issue you're hearing. If so, create your Logic session at 44.1k, or use analog audio from the Boutiques instead of USB audio.

I hope this might be helpful.

kS
flimm

Re: Boutique popping and crackling over USB in Logic

Post by flimm »

Hello,
I'm basically having the same problem on an M1 Mac in Logic using USB audio and a midi cable to an Alesis VI however, through troubleshooting I can see that my project sample rate defaults to 44.1k, changing buffer size seems to reset the problem but it then deteriorates back to crackling, adjusting input volume also does not resolve it or using just audio usb and no midi cable, neither does restarting my computer. I'm not sure what other options there are, any suggestions could potentially be good.