M2 MAC Ventura only problems

Forum for boutique synths
skank86

M2 MAC Ventura only problems

Post by skank86 »

Just alerting people, that the new M2 mac is Ventura 13.4 only.
Monterey is not supported anymore
M1 can downgrade to Big Sur, go Montery, or Ventura.

M2 has no advantages on CPU speed or RAM speed over the M1 for running VST or Music programs ( Reason, Roland Cloud, etc)
Ventura is not supported from Roland supposedly for may Synths now, but I haven't tested myself on my M1 mac before selling it
for an M2 Mini, to see if my JP-08 and D-05 were still working with Usb midi and Usb audio out to the MAC.

Recently trying my Boutique Synths with the M2, I migrated all drivers automatically.
Every Boutique I have did work, except the JP-08.
I would love to know if someone with the JP-08 and a M1 mac, could chime in and let us know
if the unit still works under Mac OS Montery or Ventura under M1 Mac.

M2 Mac still uses Rosetta, so does Ventura, but eventually Rosetta could be left out in the future.
Be it M3 mac, or the new OS 14.0 which is already in the pre-rolling phase.

I have no idea if Rosetta 2 has been playing some functions in the working of the USb Audio drivers for our boutiques.
I don't know where the driver files are located an d thus can not check if the drivers are running under Rosetta mode or not,
being all of the boutique drivers being released as Silicon-M1 compliant, Idk if it's relevant.

Thanks everyone for reading.
jmacnash

Re: M2 MAC Ventura only problems

Post by jmacnash »

You can check Rosetta status by doing a “Get Info” on your DAW program. There is a check box there.
skank86

Post by skank86 »

jmacnash wrote: 15:49, 29 June 2023 You can check Rosetta status by doing a “Get Info” on your DAW program. There is a check box there.
Reason does run in native mode, the Rosetta mode comment was made in relation to the Roland drivers, I thought it was not possible to check
if a Driver runs on Rosetta mode, either way, the drivers for the boutique synths are all native silicon, but the JP08 JX03 and JU06 has not been updated since the first silicon drivers. Probably this comment was made (not by me, but it aroused my curiosity) in order to check IF running the driver in Rosetta mode would made any difference.
I am not aware if running the DAW in Rosetta would enable/force the drivers to work in Rosetta; the JP08 is not recognized under Audio and Midi setup
at system level. The JP08 is not even discovered as a disk when entering external Disk mode on the unit for making backups/system updates; thanks for the comment. I am somehow new to Mac Os and still learning its caveats.
Screenshot 2023-06-30 alle 02.16.09.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-30 alle 02.16.09.jpg (890.48 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
jmacnash

Post by jmacnash »

I actually made the comment because I have a JD-08 and I could not get Logic to recognize it’s driver on my M1 until I put Logic in Rosetta mode.

This should allow Logic to run drivers that are Intel only in Emulation on the M1/M2 chip. You will take a bit of a performance hit but it should actually show up. Reason may manage this differently…
skank86

Post by skank86 »

jmacnash wrote: 18:54, 30 June 2023 I actually made the comment because I have a JD-08 and I could not get Logic to recognize it’s driver on my M1 until I put Logic in Rosetta mode.

This should allow Logic to run drivers that are Intel only in Emulation on the M1/M2 chip. You will take a bit of a performance hit but it should actually show up. Reason may manage this differently…
Mac Audio and midi settings should recognize the driver as the plugin (boutique of sort in this case) is connected to the usb port.

It doesn't matter if Logic or Reason run or do not run in Rosetta mode, if the device is not recognized first by the Core Audio.
Once you have created an aggregate device, and your boutique is in there, then yes, it is possible that running Reason or Logic in Rosetta mode, could do a difference, within the DAW.

I personally run Reason in native M1 mode and had no problems with the boutique drivers, even if, by way of testing with benchmark songs,
Reason performed a little better; i.e. more plugins; running in Rosetta mode. This is unrelated to the use of boutique drivers.