Question on SRX in fantom X, disinformation?

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
John01W

Question on SRX in fantom X, disinformation?

Post by John01W »

Upon reading a review of the Fantom X(as a Fantom XR user), the guy stated that in the X if you install more than 2 SRX board you lose sample time in your dimms like the Fantom S? Is this a fact?
FatBoyJim

Re: Question on SRX in fantom X, disinformation?

Post by FatBoyJim »

Not according to Roland. Can’t say for sure as I am a lowly Fantom-S owner. This sounds like some bad information to me.

Erjo

Post by Erjo »

I very much doubt that is true, but I will know for sure on Monday once my 4 SRXs arrive (got them cheap from Kraft Music). I'll be installing 3, 6, 7, and 9. Just installed 512 meg ram expansion, so I tell you for sure then. But my guess is that someone else on the list who already has this stuff will confirm before I can. Oh, my Fantom is an X7 not an XR, but I imagine they will be the same.

I've only had my FX7 for a little over a week, and don't regret the large investment one bit!

-Erik-
John01W

Post by John01W »

Yes, I didn't think so either. It says nothing of it in the Fantom XR manual, I didn't even hear about it until I read this bunk review. I don't think the X inherited this from the S.
Anyone else care to comment?
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

I think this is bad information. I seem to recall one of the Roland reps speaking specifically to this in one of the video demos for the "X". I.e. there is no loss of sample RAM when maxing out with SRX boards.
shakil

Post by shakil »

I have three SRX boards in my X-6, and it doesn't reduce the sample memory. I have 544 MB of sample RAM.

--------------------
live a musical life
HK

Post by HK »

Yep, I agree with Shakil. I also own an X6, and the manual doesn't mention any differences between the X6, 7 or 8 on this issue, so I guess every model has the same 4 srx slots and 1 separate DIMM slot.

But, on the other hand don't the specs say that the XR has 6 srx expansion slots? Maybe one or two of the srx slots on the XR takes the place of the DIMM slot(s)? It would be interesting to know for sure. :)
John01W

Post by John01W »

No dude, the review I actually was referring to when I started this thread was about an X6. I have the XR and there is no mention of it in the manual or specs. Upon asking Roland, it does not take the place of the dimm at all. Seems it was wrong information about the keyboard, and that stuff about the XR you're just inventing on here.

Harmony central really pisses me off sometimes, for seemingly malicious purposes at times, people just write these bunk reviews that are wrong all the time, they should call it Yamaha Central, the motif police took that place over lol. Any second the Yamaha squat team(lol swat team) is gonna bust down my door lol.
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

The same thing happened to the Fantom-S at Harmony Central as well. Granted, some of these negative reviews are sincere and I can respect that but the disinformation in some of the reviews is just wrong and a disservice to all.

GregC

Post by GregC »

my vote for most amusing post; this dude did a rip job on the Extreme based on spec and 2 web demos and copied it on a few forums.
2 months later he bought the Extreme. Change is good, LOL

GregC
Erjo

Post by Erjo »

My X7 now has 4 SRX slots filled and still has 544 RAM. The only problem now is going through those nearly 1500 new patches!

-Erik-
HK

Post by HK »

John01W, oops, looks like I misread your initial message. Sorry about that. :)
John01W

Post by John01W »

Dude:), nothing to apologize for! You're very nice, thanx.
As a follow up, I called Roland again today asking about this and he said that the Fantom X and XR have a faster processor than the S, and the new engine allows you to have all SRX boards and sample ram simultaneously. I wrote a lil' follow up review on HC to set the record straight.