Fantom prior to Fantom-S

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
synthroid

Fantom prior to Fantom-S

Post by synthroid »

Does anyone have experience with the earlier Fantom model prior to Fantom-S?

I'm currently doing a gig with a church and were using their XV-88 and Fantom to cover all the sounds for their Christmas production. Guys, I have to say, the sounds on the original Fantom are really quite nice. All in all, the collection of sounds on that Fantom are very usable and high quality.

Sadly, few of them seem to be included with the Fantom-S library. What I'm finding as I get more acquanted with the older Fantom is that the onboard stock library of sounds may actually have been higher quality in some regards than the Fantom-S.

I guess what we have on the Fantom-S is the "new" sounds that a probably less talented team came up with at Roland. And if we want the others we get to go out and buy the expansion boards. Marketing pure and simple.

Guys, you should try the library on the old Fantom. It is very usable. Just about every patch is so imaginative and high quality. Bottom line, for my needs, I could see myself actually using about 30% more of the former Fantom's onboard patches than those on the Fantom-S.

Has anybody found this to be the case for their needs?
Question: Which SRX board has the old Fantom patch library on it? If any............?

I want those sounds!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Fantom prior to Fantom-S

Post by Artemiy »

synthroid, FA76 really has great sounds, and the ROM waves are equal to XV5080. However, FS has around 4-5x more acoustic, hiphop and electronic drum sounds, as well as more new strings, brass and pianos.

I will agree that FS may actually miss some nice waves/patches from the FA76/XV-series, but I will definitely disagree that FS sound set is less interesting. As for me, FS has a way better set. And, in fact, this is also what most pros say when comparing it to XVs.

It all depends on what you prefer, anyway. Me too would miss some great waves I had in XP-80, but what can I do?
The Grand Dragon

Post by The Grand Dragon »

I have the Fantom76 rite now. Wanna sell it now beacause it lacks of electronic drums, the internal drums are great acoustic though. Like I said about to sell it and buy a fantom s for 1500€ new. I want to resample sounds and drums with internal fx.

_:°:`I´:°:_
Lawrencew

Post by Lawrencew »

"And if we want the others we get to go out and buy the expansion boards. Marketing pure and simple."

Well if that were true then they would have done the same with the FA-76. As in given it poorer sounds so you have to buy the expansion boards. I can't imagine any manufacturer deliberately giving a keyboard weak sounds to get people to buy the expansion boards. No one would buy the keyboard in the first place!

Have you looked closely at what makes those sounds in the FA-76 more appealling to you?
If it is the wave - then why not sample it with the FS?
If it is the patch settings - then you can probably recreate it.

I don't think it is a question of the FA-76 sounds being "higher quality", just different. You prefer the FA-76 sounds, others prefer the FS. Thank god we are not all the same ;-)
URL

Not complaining...

Post by URL »

Sounds fine here over my 10 year old Yamaha PSR-500!

8P

I got the Piano and Orchestra add ins.

I actually figured those to be the weakest when I ordered mine....

I can use the stock piano for general purpose,but the add ins are unreal for a "live" sound.

Cheers!

"In God We Trust,All Others Pay Cash"