Dance Supreme or Platinum Trax?

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
paxtani_

Dance Supreme or Platinum Trax?

Post by paxtani_ »

I will be adding dance sounds to my Fantom S. which board is a better option, Dance Extreme SRX or the Platinum Trax.

I currently have the Dynamic Drums, and World Collection SRX.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Dance Supreme or Platinum Trax?

Post by Artemiy »

Supreme may be better than Platinum Trax, just because it is focused on single sounds rather than loops.

It will give you 150+ kick drums, 200+ snare drums and more, so you can be much more creative than with loops and phrases.

However, I owned hiphop and house boards that are included on Platinum and know htat techno is also killer - they are different. I think Supreme is more for modern 2step, rnb, neosoul and that stuff, Platinum is more for hiphop, disco house, electro.
paxtani_

Post by paxtani_ »

Thanks...

I also read that Supreme Dance has the sounds 'pre-processed'. Sometimes that's not a good idea.

I want some round sounding kicks and smooth hi hats, not gritty. The processed sounds are gritty with tube overloading ...

I guess I have to find some store that have them installed in a keyboard or rack.
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Have you already checked out the interactive demo (it won't give you all of the sounds, but does demo some of the patches on each board):

http://www.rolandus.com/products/detail ... ageMode=15

Just click on the "Launch Demo" link to start it, if you haven't already.

Cheers,
RW

Just Chill....
philj

Post by philj »

Hey guys--I've been struggling with this question for quite some time too. I have an MC-909 and an XP, and have the Techno/Session/Vintage boards. The Platinum Trax board has some of the better waves from the JV Techno board("Killer", "Detuned Saw", "Fat JP-6", etc.) and some very dry but well-sampled 808/909 waves.

I'm into trancy type stuff and thought that the Dance Supreme board might be interesting because there appear to be additional waves to complement the MC-909's onboard stuff. I'm kinda curious to hear the differences myself--I keep telling myself that I'd go down to Guitar Center and pick it up just to demo it for a bit.

Both boards appear to have quite a bit of loops and drum samples, and not "as many" synth waves. (Looks like they took all the waves from Vintage Synth and put them on the "Keys" SRX expansion.)

Nate pointed out that the waveform and patch lists (in well-formatted plain-text) for all of the boards are available from Roland Japan's FTP site: ftp://ftp.roland.co.jp

Check around the /pub/roland/japan directory.
Phil
shakil

Post by shakil »

I ended up getting the Dance Supreme SRX board. It has a LOT of drums sounds. The synth waves are nice too..

for a better list of Wave/Patches... go here: http://www.fantomized.info/?p=srx/srxboards

--------------------
live a musical life
honeyshape

Post by honeyshape »

Thanks - It's the drum sounds I want most.

www.tankengine.net