Advice...Fantom-S+ XV 3080..SRX exp.

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
snowman

Advice...Fantom-S+ XV 3080..SRX exp.

Post by snowman »

Hey all...

I've got a brand new Fantom-S, and a XV 3080. I have 2 SRX expansions... Complete Orchestra and Ultimate Keys.

My question: Should I install these exp. boards into the Fantom-S or the 3080? Is there an advantage that I might be overlooking to one or the other?

I will use the Fantom as a controller for outboard synths as well as using it for all the built-in wonders that it has. I have a software-based sequencer for audio and midi, so I don't need to "do it all" inside the Fantom.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice on this one.

I am enjoying this site and all the experience that I don't have yet...maybe one day...

Thanks,
snowman.
Lawrencew

Re: Advice...Fantom-S+ XV 3080..SRX exp.

Post by Lawrencew »

why not one in each.

Then you are less likely to run in to lack of polyphony issues if you are sequencing something that uses a lot of SRX patches

The FS sound engine has some added features over the XV

If you are into programming your own patches, then put the board that you are most likely to do this with in the FS so you can take advantage of the new patch parameters
snowman

Post by snowman »

Thanks, Lawrencew...

"why not one in each.

Then you are less likely to run in to lack of polyphony issues if you are sequencing something that uses a lot of SRX patches "

This is a good point, and one I'll think about.

Thanks,
snowman
gtds

Post by gtds »

Hi snowman

My advice would be to install the boards in one unit, listen to it - then install them in the other unit and listen to that. Try comparing because the case could be that the boards sound better on one unit than the other (..or exactly the same).

The reason I say this is because I found a difference between the XV-3080 and the XV-5080 (even though Roland claim the synth engines are identical in both units). I found the 5080 to be smoother and richer compared to the 3080.

Just my opinion though - some may not agree.

...welcome to the forum!

gtds
snowman

Post by snowman »

Hey gtds....Thanks for the advice...maybe I *should* listen to them in each unit. If there's a difference, I'd like to be aware of it.

Thanks again'

snowman
E.Camargo

Post by E.Camargo »

Well, this is a fact.

This diferences may be:
1. |Multi-effects.
2. Filters.
3. Ocilators.

Just to say a few.

I guess that Gtds's suggestion must be considered, since you have two "generations" of modules and are able to make some comparisons.
I have passed for this experience one day, buying the Hip-Hop Colection to XP-80. I've tested some patches using the XV-88, and one of those patches had some diferences of feedback of one effect that I couldn't find on the XP-80.
This is a fact, and Roland also give some warnings about it.

Peace - Edu Camargo