XP JV XV compatibility

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
gscroggin

XP JV XV compatibility

Post by gscroggin »

I've read quite a few conflicting statements regarding the compatibility between the XP, JV and XV lines. I'm hoping someone here can give me the definitive word :-) Here's what I want. Over time I've slowly been parring down my live keyboard setup, and using more modules. I'm down now to my beloved XP-50 and Yam S-80. I want to get to just using the S-80 as my board, and control all my modules. I was thinking of replacing the XP with a JV-1080, as they are pretty inexpensive and all my patches and performances can be used. Then I got to thinking that a XV-5080 might be a great addition, and I don't mind spending the extra coin for what would definately be a technology refresh. However, I've read that XP series Performances aren't able to be uploaded into the XV's. But then elsewhere I could have sworn I read that people have done it. So....does anyone have experience with taking XP patches and perfs and putting them on a XV? I'd love to pick up a 5080, but I absolutely need all my patch and perf data from my XP before making the jump.

Thanks!
nsheldon

Re: XP JV XV compatibility

Post by nsheldon »

Hi gscroggin.

Welcome to the Roland Clan.

I've owned both an XP-80 and XV-5080 and I can confirm that the performances from my XP-80 did load successfully into the XV-5080. The XV-5080 has all original ROM waveforms found in all JV-based synths (including the XP-30/50/60/80) as well as all original preset patches. Though the XV-5080 uses a newer XV synth engine, it recognizes and converts JV synth SysEx messages to the equivalent XV engine parameters in real-time as they come into the MIDI IN port. The XV-5080 MIDI Implementation section of the manual confirms this. You can download the XV-5080 Owner's Manual from the Roland US web site here.
gscroggin

Post by gscroggin »

Cool! Thanks so much for the quick reply! I've heard because of that conversion process that XP/JV patches often sound better on the XV series...looking forward to hearing that. One more question; it there any wav/sound overlap between the XV-5080 and the JP-8000? I know they are different engines, but I'm wondering if there's 8000 style modeling on the XV. If so, I might get rid of my 8000. If not, I'll definately keep it.

Thanks!
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi again.

I tend to doubt that it's the conversion of patches that improves the sound. I'd lean more toward the significantly improved D/A used in the XV-5080 as the reason for the improved sound. But regardless the cause, it does sound a bit cleaner than the XP.

No, the XV-5080 doesn't have any analog modeling capabilities. Though you can mimic a number of the sounds found in the JP-8000, sample-playback emulation of analog or analog modeled sound is often noticeable to astute listeners, so I'd keep your 8000 if you like more than a few of the sounds that come out of it (such as the SuperSaw).
mrcpro

Post by mrcpro »

The SRV reverbs on the XV series are very noticeably improved over the JV/XP reverbs which also makes XVs sound better if reverb is engaged. I think that has more to do with sound quality improvements than anything else.

While we're on the subject of XP/XV compatibility, what about the XV-5050? I've heard it's a no go. True?
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi mrcpro.

Agreed, the SRV reverb on the XV-5080 is a significant improvement to the JV/XP reverb, though when importing JV/XP patches and performances, the XV-5080 properly selects the older JV/XP stock reverb as specified in the respective patches. One can go in and then modify the patches to use SRV reverb, but it's not selected by default with imported Super JV synth patches. I have seen the specs on both the XP-80 and XV-5080 and can confirm that the XV-5080 uses a 24-bit D/A whereas the XP-80 uses an 18-bit D/A. Additionally, the Super JV synths are reported (though I have no way of confirming this) to be using 32 kHz sample rate rather than 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz. Since no Super JV synth has digital output (only analog) there's no way to confirm or deny this, but I received this information from communicating with people who are highly knowledgeable on the subject.

As for the XV-5050, I don't know about Super JV compatibility on that one. I've not used a 5050. I do know that the 5050 lacks some of the MFX that are only available in the 5080. Many of the additional MFX in the 5080 are specifically for backward compatibility with the Super JV synths, so I imagine that the 5050, at most, has only partial JV/XP patch compatibility (because not all JV/XP MFX algorithms exist in the 5050).
mrcpro

Post by mrcpro »

Hi nsheldon-

I definitely agree with your comments. And I've heard the same things.

My only first hand experience with this has nothing to do with XVs, but was when I manually converted some JV/XP patches to a Fantom S (all parameters common to both line up the same except envelope amounts). And they have a few waveforms in common. But I had to do it manually. Anyway, as long as I kept Master off the results were very close... maybe a little cleaner on the Fantom but not a big deal... until I added SRV reverb. Big difference then.

Incidentally when I got my Fantom S I was surprised that the old JV/XP rooms, stages, and halls are still available on it.

I've always wondered about transferring some of my old 1080 patches in something one space like the 5050. I wouldn't do it unless they would automatically port over though. That's why I was asking. Otherwise, I'll probably just pick up a 5080 someday. But they're still holding their prices up. Kind of a classic Roland module though.
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi again.

Yea, moving Super JV patches to the Fantom-S/X is a tedious task since it's all manual. Roland has actually done that with all of the XV-5080 stock patches (which include the Super JV stock patches). Roland offers an XV-5080 Patch download (in Fantom-S and Fantom-X Librarian file format). Most of their converted patches sound pretty close to the XV, though not all of them are since the XV had a number of JD-990 ROMs that doesn't exist in the Fantoms, and the XV-5080 had all the original EFX algorithms of the Super JV where the Fantoms do not.

In any case, it's interesting to hear other people's experiences with this.
mrcpro

Post by mrcpro »

Yeah what I'm interested in doing is with custom patches, not the factory stuff. I'm not going to do it manually. It's just too tedious. So that probably means an XV-3080 or preferably 5080.
gscroggin

Post by gscroggin »

Hi guys! Well, I've got my xv-5080 now and I love it! Fantastic sounds in it, very inspiring already. I'm wondering though (nsheldon), how you were able to get your xp-80 patches and perfs over to your 5080? I was able to suck all my xp-50 stuff into my PC with ChangeIT, though I've discovered that the performance data doesn't seem to be right (it's kind of generic). So I found a program called JVPerform2003 that seems to work properly. So now I've got all my XP-50 patches and performances on my computer, but they are in .sysex format. I have the Roland editor and librarian for the 5080, but it only wants to see things in .SVD or .SMF. So, how do I get the sysex data into the 5080, or do I need to some how convert the data into another format? Or do I need to use a different program altogether? I just want to make sure I definately have working copies of my XP's sounds on the 5080 before I sell my XP!

Thanks again!
gscroggin

Post by gscroggin »

Just to clarify a bit further now...I was able to send patch data to the 5080 with ChangeIT, so I'm able to play my XP-50 patches on the 5080, which is great. I'm still not able to get the performance data though. When I try to send it to the 5080, it just doesn't do anything. I see the MIDI MESSAGE light blink, but other than that nothing occurs. Do I need to use a different process for performance data?

Thanks!
epu

Post by epu »

The XV series does NOT read JV/XP Performance data.
marianguitar

Post by marianguitar »

Hello,

I would like to ask if the data is compatible (Sysex, sounds, setx) also with the XV-5080 sw version, this: https://www.muziker.sk/roland-xv-5080-k ... NW1NWNNN3E

I owned a JV-1080 module and I have a lot of songs made for this module, so I wonder if when I buy this software version of the XV-5080 I will be able to play it all right and it will be 100% compatible ???

Zdravím,

Chcel by som saopýtať, či sú data kompatibilne (Sysex, zvuky, setx) aj s XV-5080 sw verzia, toto: https://www.muziker.sk/roland-xv-5080-k ... X4EALw_wcB

Vlastnil som modul JV-1080 a mám veľa songov urobených na tento modul, tak sa pýtam, či, keď kúpim túto sw verziu XV-5080 budem to môcť všetko rovno prehrávať a bude 100% kompatibilita???