where do we go from here...

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
morpheus

where do we go from here...

Post by morpheus »

I am more than content with the selection of srx expansions that I currently own (Studio-03 and both orchestral roms), but....here is my dilemma. I have a friend who is really interested in buying another piece of gear for my "late" birthday gift. I have all of the other outboard gear that I want to tackle the learning curve on at the moment so I am thinking along the lines of blowing out my S88 with a fourth srx. Granted the three that I have and my genre(s) of music (r&b, neosoul, jazz fusion), which, if any, of these srx boards would you guys/gals recommend?

failure is an attitude not an outcome...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: where do we go from here...

Post by Artemiy »

I'd suggest you the srx07 - ultimate keys. You'll get tons of electric pianos, organs and synths which are great for r&b/neosoul. For good drums I'd suggest you buy a CD library. That is the way I'd do - e-piano and organ multisamples are harder to store as samples, so srx board is great - and srx07 has tons of tasty sounds like rhodes, wurli, b3, farfisa, tron, vox...
morpheus

Post by morpheus »

Thanks for the info A-Man. I have heard plenty of great things about the srx 07, but...can anyone tell me what the major differences are between this rom and the S88 factory rom (in terms of sound quality, patch selection, etc...)?

failure is an attitude not an outcome...
keysurfer

Post by keysurfer »

Artemio is right, if you wanna do r&b, jazz, fusion stuff, get the ultimate keys SRX board, I am using this board over and over again for my funk & jazz bands (clavinet patches, rhodes, organs etc).
I think there is a good reason why roland revived there "old" JV-expansion board patches (60&70, bass&drums,session,vintage) within this card. I know many colleagues (studio musicians & live sidemen) who used those old boards in their JV / XP series keyboards and are missing their favorite patches in the new s-88/Fantom-S....
And don`t be afraid of the "age" of these patches:The quality is still very, very good (IMO). In one of the last sessions, I played around with a patch called "6 String Bass SRX"from the srx-07, and fooled the drummer....:-))

K-S
Phait

Post by Phait »

This thread title reminded me of a sad song by Filter, and I cried.

Ok maybe not, but has anyone played SRX-9? I'm thinking of getting that.

Web design/Personal site: http://www.phait-accompli.com
Music: http://www.thecarbonflaw.com
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

morpheus wrote:
"Thanks for the info A-Man. I have heard plenty of great things about the srx 07, but...can anyone tell me what the major differences are between this rom and the S88 factory rom (in terms of sound quality, patch selection, etc...)?"

Check out the patch/wave lists that Artemio has posted:
http://fantom-s.info/?p=srx/srxboards

The big additions I think the SRX-07 adds is a ton of new Oberheim, Arp, Juno waves that are great for creating pads, leads, some terrific B-3 waves and patches (most of the B-3 patches I use are derived from those on the SRX-07, not from the standard ones on the FS, which I find to be weak in general), better Wurly patches, and some good Rhodes (although I really like the Rhodes waves/patches in the factory FS set).

If I want a good "analog" synth sound for a pad, lead, etc., almost all of the time I dip into the SRX-07 for at least some part of the patch I make.

Drums/guitars stink on the SRX-07....much better in the factory set.

Cheers,
RW

The pic says it all. Is it dark in here or is it just me?
E.Camargo

Post by E.Camargo »

The best e. and ac. basses are on the SRX-07. I just use that basses on my productions.
And why not to say that some best synth basses are there too?

The drums are a bit radical, but you can make some use of that. But I'd recommend, in adition to Artemio's post , if you are intended to use drums of that nature, go to the "Burning Grooves vol.2" wich the SRX-07's drums are from.

Then, your machine is very well fulfilled!

Paz - Edu Camargo.