Expansion Board Questions

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
psalmist

Expansion Board Questions

Post by psalmist »

These may be silly questions, but hope you'll have patience. First, I'm looking for some good session type sounds as well as specifically good B3 sounds. I was browsing the Roland site and saw the Ultimate Keys board (as well as some of the postings on this site) and the Studio Expansion board. My questions are:

1. Am I correct in assuming the old JV-1080 boards won't work with the Fantom (and/or aren't the same quality level of the onboard sounds) ?
2. From reading the threads about the SRX boards, it sounds as though Ultimate Keys is a collection of new programs built from the older samples. Does anyone still consider it a fair deal ?
3. Your opinion f the Studio Expansion board.
4. Any other suggestions on a solid B3 sound using the Fantom.

Thanks from the newbie ! Tom

Tom
mucsusn

Re: Expansion Board Questions

Post by mucsusn »

I'm not too familiar with the Studio Expansion Board, but the Ultimate Keys Board is real nice for B3's.

About half of the SRX boards are compilations of old SR-JV boards. Look through the descriptions on the Roland site, and it will clearly tell which is which. The SRX boards are physically different from the old SR-JV boards. Different size, different connector, and 8 times more wave memory, hence the compilations. The waves are the same, just patch architecture is different. They are not a bad bang for the buck if you use the sounds. A little under $200 from Kraft Music.

The XV patch bank for the FS also has some most excellent B3's on it.
psalmist

in the slow lane ...

Post by psalmist »

Sorry, mucsusn, I guess I'm in the slow lane here and am feeling pretty stupid right now. When you say the XV patch bank, is that already on my Fantom ? I didn't see any B3 waves listed in the documentation. Sorry if this is a stupid question. Tom

Tom
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

The XV patch bank is a port of old XV patches that Roland has provided for the FS. It is available for download from Roland, and there are many aids on this site for getting it into your Fantom.

The link to the bank is on the Fantomized home page under downloads/Roland
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

psalmist

Thanks

Post by psalmist »

You guys are great. Thanks so much ! Tom

Tom