Help with my JV-1010! Not receiving Midi

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
hbk2718

Help with my JV-1010! Not receiving Midi

Post by hbk2718 »

I recently purchased a JV-1010. It's in good condition. I hold down the volume knob to audition the patches and they sound great. The only problem I have with the JV is that I can't get it to receive midi from my keyboard. I have it set to channel 1 and Patch mode like the manual instructed. I have also set my M-Audio Axiom 25 to channel 1. Nothing. I know it's not receiving midi data due to the midi light not blinking. I also tried my Korg padKontrol, but nothing. The sounds work, the menu navigation does as well. I just can't get it to play using a controller. Any suggestions? Keep in mind, it's only hooked up to my keyboard, I'm not using an editor, pc, etc..
Zephyer

Re: Help with my JV-1010! Not receiving Midi

Post by Zephyer »

Hi hbk2718 and welcome Roland clan.

First look at the back of the JV-1010 and make sure the computer Switch is set to midi. (all the way to the left viewing from the rear) If it’s not turn off the power to the unit and set it to this position.

Next turn it back on and test the unit, if this was not the problem write back and we will go into more advanced Troubleshooting.
hbk2718

Re: Zephyer

Post by hbk2718 »

Thanks for the quick response. I shut down the unit, moved the switch to midi, but nothing. I verified my keyboard was set to channel 1, etc...
Zephyer

Glad to help.

Post by Zephyer »

Ok, now lets verify the MIDI Out from USB Function is set to off on your M-Audio Axiom 25. If its set to on your Axiom will transmit midi info from the USB port and not the midi ports. If You see a MIDI plug symbol on the LCD display this may be the problem.

1. Press the Advanced button.

2. Press the MIDI Out key to activate/deactivate MIDI Out from USB.

3. Verify the MIDI plug symbol on the LCD display is gone

4. To turn MIDI Out from USB mode on/off, repeat these steps.

Now test to see if your JV-1010 is receiving midi Data.

If the above steps did not work do a factory Rest to set the JV-1010 to its default settings.

1. Press the VALUE knob to switch to a mode other than the
Patch mode (PATCH), that is, to the PERFORM, RHYTHM, or
GM mode.

2. While holding down the VOLUME knob, press the VALUE knob.
Switch to the Edit mode.

3. Turn the CATEGORY/BANK knob to choose PIANO (Factory
Reset).
Fct flashes on the display.

4. Press the VALUE knob.
Sur flashes on the display, prompting you to confirm that you indeed wish to carry out a Factory Reset.

5. Press the VALUE knob.
The Factory Reset is performed, and you leave the Edit mode.

After the factory Rest is done test the unit, if their is still no change check the list below.

Check list

1. Do your midi cables work, (Make sure they are standard five pin cables) check for shorts (Hard bumps) and broken or loose pins (They should have five pins) test them with other equipment.

2. Make sure one side of the midi cable is plugged into the MIDI OUT of your M-Audio Axiom 25 and the other side of the cable is plugged into the MIDI IN of your JV-1010.

3. Make sure the computer Switch is set to midi for the JV-1010. (verified) And the MIDI Out from USB Function is set to off on your M-Audio Axiom.

4. Check the midi ports on both the JV-1010 and M-Audio Axiom 25 for damage if you see damage you will have to take the unit to a repair tech.

If none of the steps above help write back and we will see what else we can come up with.
hbk2718

Post by hbk2718 »

The issue was the Axiom was in the wrong Zone Range. I did a complete reset of the Axiom, and that did the trick. The Axiom is a pretty deep keyboard. So many options and functions. If you don't know these functions, it makes troubleshooting much more difficult. It's time I learned this keyboard inside out.
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

Awesome! Glad to hear it, have fun with your new gear and enjoy the forum as well.

1. Make cool music

2. Have fun

3. Repeat steps one and two
agorn

Post by agorn »

I am having similar issues with My Roland RD700 NX, Not sure if I have to set a different channel on the Roland for each layer? Never thought of resetting the axiom25 however, did you have to reload Enigma or just boot up? Should I keep same channel for each Zone (1,2,3), on the Axiom? These correlated perfectly with my older RD700 keyboard with little manipulation. I am getting a signal with what appear to be prestored program data, Frankly I do not need any of that, only to duplicate my LIVE Sets through Upper to Lower levels1 HELP