Chemical Solution For Keyboard Cleaning

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
mlochala

Chemical Solution For Keyboard Cleaning

Post by mlochala »

I'm the proud owner of a seventeen-year-old Roland U-20. It's in excellent shape except for in the past year it has become victim to the curse of the unstable keyweight epoxy. And dust. And one spilled drink (Coca Cola).

I have one key that isn't working properly and another that is slightly sticking. The one key that isn't working properly will sound, but only if struck in a certain way. I'm fairly certain a good cleaning would solve the problem. Except for, I don't have time right now to tear this thing all the way down again to service the keyboard.

In the past, for an emergency cleaning (spilled drink), I squirted some rubbing alcohol down between the keys and then blew that out with an air compressor. That was a very impromptu "in a pinch" type solution, and it did work.

Now, I am wondering if I diluted some denatured "alky-hall" with water if I could squirt that down in between the keys and try the air compressor thing again to get everything going again. Would the denatured alcohol damage anything internally? Would the rubber contact pads be OK?

Thank you for your time!
funkyant

Re: Chemical Solution For Keyboard Cleaning

Post by funkyant »

Hey mate. I have been down this road when my D-70 and U-20 suffered the same fate.

The short answer is that any solvent strong enough to dissolve the epoxy glue also melts the keys.

However, the good news is that Roland will sell you an entire new keyboard assembly for cost if you give them your serial number, as they are obviously aware of this manufacturing fault.

I didn't bother fixing the U-20, but my D-70 now has a brand new and better made than the original keyboard. Roland shipped the part to me and I put it in myself.
gorky

Post by gorky »

Hi,

do you still have they contact or some kind of link wheere this can be bought?
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

the only chemicals i use on my keyboards is distilled water or Prima Clarity. nothing that contains oils or alcohol or anything harsh like disinfecting sprays, products with bleach, thinner, etc.

i wash my hands before playing my boards and dont eat while playing.
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Just open it up and clean the PCB area under the rubber contacts with some pure alcohol. Also gently clean the rubber contact itself. I did this with a D-70 with a dead key and it works fine now.

Distilled water may work as well, you just need to remove the dirt. I normally use alcohol for cleaning contacts.
caxton

Post by caxton »

Hi! never use alcohol with rubber contacts. It can be used on the boards an circuits without trouble and the metallic contacts can also be cleaned with isopropyllic alcohol. The red glue under the keys can be carefully cleaned with hot water (not too hot to melt the plastic!!!). Wash the rubber contacts with some kind of neutral soap. Good luck!
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

If its between the keys you need to use something that cleans and evaporate completely. I would use RC car motor spray or nitro-engine cleaner. They are both available at your local hobby shop.