xp 80 sustain?

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
mirkos

xp 80 sustain?

Post by mirkos »

Hello,

Last night my xp 80 in the midlle of gig started to sustain,and any voice i choose was sustained....I restarted the keyboard,but it happened one more time that night.

Is there any system update for this keyboard?

Thanks
mirkos

Re: xp 80 sustain?

Post by mirkos »

Hello,

Nobody ?

Is there any system os downloadable for my xp ? Where can I find it?I have problems with sustain :(

Thanks
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

Hi mirkos!

The XPs can not be updated and because of that Roland made sure they had almost no bugs before they released them to the public.

A sustain problem was not one of the bugs so either your sustain pedal is malfunctioning or the sustain pedal port is wore down.

Did you try another pedal?
mirkos

Post by mirkos »

Hello,and thanks for reply.

You didn't understand me well,I am not using sustain pedal.Voices just start to sustain over and over...just restart helps.

So,if it's not system upgradable,maybe its time to visit repair man ;)
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

O, I see.

It sounds like something is adjusting the system release time.

1.Is your XP-80 hooked up to something.

2.Are you running the sequencer?

3.When this happens is the filter/Env button light on, If so did you adjust the decay slider?
mirkos

Post by mirkos »

hello,

No,my xp is not connected to anything,I am not using sequencer,and filter is not lit...I tried even with turning filter on off,but no results...
mirkos

Post by mirkos »

I opened board,and remove all the dirt inside,now it works like a charm !
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hi Mirkos!

Glad things worked out for you! I just wanted to clarify the statement made earlier that
The XPs can not be updated and because of that Roland made sure they had almost no bugs before they released them to the public.
Actually, there are upgrades available. I know this, as I used to own an XP80. They were tranferred as MIDI file data to the keyboard.

XP-80:
ROM 1.10, CPU 1.04 are the latest versions reported.

CPU 1.02 fixes a problem with the PR-C:098 patch. Sometimes when played 'popping' and 'clicking' can be heard. This bug appears to be very specific and only occurs on patches with similar structures and parameters to PR-C:098.
ROM 1.10 fixes a bug when assigning GM patches 041-056 to Performance PR-A:01 Part 1 no sound is heard. When loading and converting a SMF format 1, track 15 may be merged into track 16 and track 15 will be empty. In track info screen, track 16 _may_ show the information for a previously loaded song. When using soft thru and there are multiple note on messages, the XP _may_ only transmit one note off message. While recording the timing may have occasionally drifted.
ROM 1.08 fixes a bug when recording with the Quantitize function ON, very rarely the XP may miss recording.
ROM 1.07 fixes a slave mistep bug, an external sync to clock bug and a chain play bug.
ROM 1.05 correctes a timing problem with the sequencer syncing to patches (drum loops) from the Dance exp. board.
ROM 1.04 apparently fixed some sequencer timing problems when large amounts of MIDI data was being received.

Some users have had problems with the brigthness of the LCD display. Roland have service a upgrade #100920 which upgrades the LCD display.
Please note the upgrades are only available through your local Roland Service Centre. Upgrades should be free. Please only request an upgrade if you are experiencing problems with your synth.

To check the version of your synth -
Press [SEQUENCER] button to enter Sequencer mode. Then press [SHIFT] + [ENTER] + [EXIT] simultaneously. A screen like the following should appear:

1.04 EXT0088 CPU1.01 96/06/13 14:41 XP3

The first number on the display (1.04 in the above example) is the ROM version. The second version number preceded by CPU is the CPU version. Press [EXIT] to leave this screen.

Just thought that you might like to know!
Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy
Watch a video of - Some Guitar Shredding Done entirely on the X8!

PiaKnow
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

Glad to hear it mirkos, great job, I opened my Xp-80 a few times (lots of screws) to keep it in good shape. Saves a good bit of cash if we can do it ourselves. :-)

Hi PiaKnowGuy.

Actually I did know.

But I think you misunderstood me.

What I was saying is that the XP’s can not be updated in the same way the Fantoms can (By downloading a file from the internet). I was aware of the bug in each version which is why I said
A sustain problem was not one of the bugs

Also, you misunderstand how the upgrade is obtained
They were transferred as MIDI file data to the keyboard.

They do not update it with a midi file, they exchange your XP with an updated model. If it could be done with a MIDI file it would be available for download on the internet.

I really doubt this updating service is still available (XP is 13 or 14 years old) and the XP’s warranty has definitely expired.

The bug in most of the CPU versions is very hard to spot so if you (XP owners) did not find it by now chances are it’s not a cause for concern.

I’m fairly certain (unless Roland changed something) about what I’m saying. But if I’m wrong (maybe Dan can correct it) I am happy to accept the truth. I take pride (Love doing it) in helping my fellow clan members. So the last thing I want to do is give them incorrect Information.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hi Zephyer.

Assistance is always welcome and we thank-you for it. However, it is very hard to misunderstand the statement
Also, I actually owned a Roland XP80 and did download a MIDI file which updated the OS to 1.07 at the time. (off the net) In fact, I have been searching some of my old HD's to try to locate that particular file. Of course, it should go without saying that the CPU version cannot be updated without changing hardware. In the case of the XP80, however, it was the OS which was the source of most operating glitches.

I meant no dis-respect in pointing out that it was possible to update the XP80, and am very glad that you take pride in helping your fellow clan members! Please continue to do so! Then you must also understand why I must do the same. =)

Take care, my friend.
PiaKnowGuy

PiaKnow
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

I meant no dis-respect in pointing out that it was possible to update the XP80
I was sure of that piaknowguy, you are one of the most respectful guys here. :-)
Also, I actually owned a Roland XP80 and did download a MIDI file which updated the OS to 1.07 at the time. (off the net)
(Said with great respect) piaknowguy, I have done a huge amount of research on this workstation and I have never (could have missed it) come across such an update for download. And I really believe the XP’s are programmed to receive only MIDI data through the floppy disk drive.

But I know your word is very honorable so I do believe you downloaded something.

But if you say you can update the OS with a download. Then you are going to have a lot of XP owners coming on the forum asking a lot of questions and looking for the update.

If I’m wrong about this I’m sorry. This will be my last post on this because you are one of the last guys I want to offend (Hope I did not) here.

Thanks piaknowguy.

Zephyer
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hey Zephyer! With a little more investigating, I found that we were both right! (in a way) lol

Some XP-80s had Flash ROM installed. Flash ROM provided a convenient way to update the XP-80 operating system. The current operating system could be installed using a software update procedure (instead of having to physically remove parts and replace them with new ones.) Units with the following serial numbers had Flash ROM installed. I am not sure exactly why this was the case. However, it does explain our confusion.

ZI-10100 through ZI-10199
ZI-42854 through ZI-53099

I would have downloaded a Flash ROM update off of a given Roland ftp site, as this software update is 'free for life' to registered XP80 owners. Ironically, some XP80s were able to be updated this way and others, not.

Just thought that you would like to know! Thank-you for you kind words and know that I also hold you in high respect! =)

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy

PiaKnow
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

Right!!! (LOL!), I do remember reading that (it was a long time ago), that explains things. I also remember feeling a little cheated about it. :-D

I knew there was some explanation for the confusion.

Sorry for giving you a hard time about it piaknowguy.

Zephyer
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hey, no worries! =)
PiaKnowGuy

PiaKnow
mirkos

Post by mirkos »

Oh,well,I will try to find some update,but I tried it already,and didn't found it...if someone somewhere have update,please,post it here.

I must add word or two for you guys.

This discussion is really really,great.If just everyone on the other forums,worldwide,would be so tolerant and normal like you two guys,internet would be better place.Period.I am proud to be on the forum with you guys,your behavior set example for everyone.

Thanks
Best regards