SRX-01 questions

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
revive

SRX-01 questions

Post by revive »

Hello everyone,
I have a question about SRX-01 Dynamic Drum Kits.

1) Besides the drum kits, it also includes 41 patches. What do these patches do?
2) Does the board also include ready-to-use rhythm patterns, or drum arps?
3) Quality wise, how does the board compare to the preset kits in Fantom X?

Thanks!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: SRX-01 questions

Post by Artemiy »

1) I'm not sure if these patches will work with FX. Patches on SRX boards initially were programmed for XV ROM wave set.

2) no, SRX boards in their nature don't contain any rhthm/arp data. Roland sometimes provides SMF/SVQ files on the CDs that come with certain SRX boards, but I'm not sure with which and I'm not sure if it's true at all :-)

3) I heard many people saying they are better. I think the FX drums are no less great, but SRX01 has a much greater variety of drums, as FX's additional new 64 Mb ROM has a super-duper grand piano mainly taking most of space, and SRX01 is 64 Mb of drums only.

Artemio.
snoopy

Post by snoopy »

Hello,

I listened the drums sounds of the fantom-x and I can say to you that are very bad beside the srx-01.(i do not seek to contradict you Artermio, it is only my opinion).

the srx -01 is really really better but after all, the opposite would be disturbing.

Artemio,
I am afraid,i will buy a Fantom-x in 2 or 3 weeks to replace my Fa-76 and I already ordered a srx-01.

why the srx-01 should not work with the fantom-x?
it' a srx and the fantom-x works with the all srx cards.(i think)

the srx-01 uses other waveforms that his for the patches?

if somebody knows some more, Please I would like to know...

i already have a srx-03,is it the same case?
jakesmitty

Post by jakesmitty »

The patches are drum menus; they either include kits, or groups of certain drums. I think these were included so that you can use drum sounds in patches as part of performances, rather than restricting you to a specific channel e.g. channel 10.

In case you're curious, the samples on SRX01 were sourced from disc 2 of Spectrasonics' Burning Grooves, and disc 2 of the old version of Liquid Grooves (the non -groove control version). Most of the sounds are from burning grooves though.
rbarkhouse

Post by rbarkhouse »

Hey guys,

I just got my SRX-01 card installed last night -- I bought it second hand and it didn't come with any of the literature. I was just wondering if there's anything useful in there, such as keymaps showing what sounds are on each key for the various kits. If anyone would be so kind as to scan in whatever documentation came with the SRX-01 board I'd really appreciate it!

- Rick

Rick Barkhouse
shakil

Post by shakil »

jakesmity: "rather than restricting you to a specific channel e.g. channel 10. " BTW, you are not restricted to use drums on ONE channel. You can have a drumkits on any channel, and as many channels as you want.

--------------------
live a musical life
Shaz

SRX-01 TERRIBLE?

Post by Shaz »

Ok, I recently bought this board and I really think that it sounds terrible! It makes the factory sounds from Fantom-X sound 10 times better! which are not so good to begin with and that was the reason I bought this board.

Anyone using it with Fantom X and really think this is better than the factory drums? Could you please tell me if you have done any programming changes to make it sound better? All the drums kit sounds are so low in volume to begin with, and I really don't think I should have to re-program it to make it sound better.

I am really pissed and may be selling this soon ...
shakil

Post by shakil »

Shaz

you are right, the kits are lower in volume, but all of them sound very realistic and kits are very dynamic. 4 way stereo velocity switching... awesome!!

You can make other tracks' volume lower relative to the track which uses kits from SRX-01.

--------------------
live a musical life