V-Piano in ken's music room..

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
kenchan

V-Piano in ken's music room..

Post by kenchan »

i got the V-Piano today. came in 2 large boxes on a wooden pallet. had to have the truck driver unload into my garage first. total shipping weight was approx 86kg with the pallet. so i would say 25kg for the box with stand, 44-45kg for the vpiano with box.

I then setup the stand in my music room, then had the wife help me carry the V-Piano though the front of the house. it's about 45kg of clumsy large brown box. it was actually 5kg+ heavier than my G8 which i carried on my own a few times which wasn't too fun.

have to say the packaging is artistry itself. very high quality cardboard used, thick poly sheets, very well designed cells for the individual bits. same goes for the V-Piano's packaging.

the setup took me no more than 30min or so with the help of my wife. the V-Piano is actually bolted down to the stand which is a nice touch. pedal box is wood (MDF), very nice touch there as well.

you just have to then get some cold beverage and admire the V-Piano for a while before you sit down and play.

im using a Yamaha DS840 throne as my bench. not a fan of piano benches actually and since the V-Piano's stand is more modern i thought a throne would be a nice match. and it is (well, for me).

the monitors im using is a Yamaha HS50M which is the smaller version of the HS80M i use on my synth setup. it has plenty of power. i played around with the V-Piano's 4band parametric EQ to rid some of the annoying room modes i have and walla. i just kept playing and playing and playing and playing.. hahaha.

i luv it. it's a nice unit. beautifully made. will play with the EQ's a tad more to get it perfected with the room acoustics. :) for headphones im running a AKG240.

the stand is super stable. i cant shake it while playing. :)
kenchan

Re: V-Piano in ken's music room..

Post by kenchan »

will take more shots with an actual camera later on.

(copy/paste from the other thread)

My initial thougts...definitely a fun instrument. after playing with it for many hours last night and this morning, my thought is that the v-piano is not an eletric/digital piano at all.

it's a completely unique instrument all on its own. :)

i think my edited NY Grand on my G8 sounds more like a standard so called "piano" than the v-piano, if it makes any sense. The V-Piano is a completely separate variant of a piano... say between an upright or grand, babygrand, etc.

The keyboard is slightly more fluid than the G8's keys. it's like they dipped the hammer action in thick oil adding rich texture to the throw. it's a very rewarding experience just pressing the keys... even if the V-Piano is turned off. hahahahaha.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

kenchan
When possible, I strongly recomend you to test the V-Piano with an extra pair of speakers. The 4 speaker configuration is a must. Do it and you'll see the diference it makes, really!
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

V-CeeOh- so hook up speakers to both output A and B (2pairs of L&R) and run surround sound? Huh, I need to buy another pair then. Hahaha

Ran the Edirol room control and it contoured out the exact freq's I tuned on the VPiano's EQ and by the same amount within 1dB, Q is very similar. Going to run the room control and keep the EQ flat on the VPiano. I added a touch of soundboard and man the tone is nice and rich.

The VPiano is so easy to edit...already I can find my way around the entire machine pretty much without the manual.

Compared to editing sounds on my G8, the VPiano's sounds are elementary to edit which is a great thing. I recommend you play with the editor cause it's really easy to make your own.

Funny is I even SHORTENED the decay on my piano sound vs factory. How often do you do that on a sample playback electric piano? Hahaha. Yah, like never. :)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

i might get a set of recoils to isolate the monitors from the shelf. it's too close to the wall but with the acoustic room control on the Edirol it actually sounds pretty flat. :)

but you'll get much better results if you use a 31band stereo EQ and use your ears.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

so ive had the VPiano for a week and been playing with the various settings. for my playing i think i found a pretty good setup. im sure it depends on how you play and the style of music but here it is for me.

Keyboard touch: MED -7
Keyfollow: -13
Ambience: Hall 3, depth 22 (Im a fan of using mild app of hall reverbs)
EQ: (others set at zero)
- LowMid -3dB @200Hz Q:2
- High +2.8dB @3150Hz shelving

The EQ was set after calibrating my monitors to the acoustics of my room so it should be pretty consistent if you are at a studio or hall. this is after placing the HS50M on some auralex monitor pads (Mopad).
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Looks sweet, Kenchan!

Congrats on your new V-Piano! I would love to hear some sound sample demos or perhaps a video or two from you!

Looks awesome! I'm envious!! =)

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy
Please watch my Boogie duet for one! - BOOGIE!

PiaKnow
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

thanks, piaknowguy. yah, i'll upload something later on. :)

it's a beautiful instrument. has a lot of character in the notes it's a completely different instrument vs like a RD700GX or any of the yami's sampled EP's. the dynamic range is incredible.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

While you're at it, could you please also sample the exhaust note from you Continental GT?
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

come on now, Art. you know im not rich.

it's a small price to pay vs getting a steinway and modifying my house to match... lol

and im not a pianist (as in a true pianist) so i dont need to spend that kind of money pretending like i can play piano like them.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Added just a touch of CMOS Comp1 with zero for bass, 40 for Tube, and 20 on the compressor.

Even more rich sound. :D

Also using Hall3 on the Edirol with -12 range sent. I might seriously get a rear pair of speakers (just some cheap Alesis pair would do the trick) and run a tad more delay.

i think honestly though i want to try an analog mixer and just use that.
edirol's kinda cool but it doesn't sound the most accurate.

Man, this VPiano is fun playing, but even more fun setting it up. Hahaha. ;-)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

V-CeeOh- i tried the 4 speaker configuration since i have 4 monitors pointing towards the center of the room. in this setup i am using 3 different reverbs to simulate proximity. close, moderately close, and far walls. it's fun. the 'rear' monitors are not pointed in the optimal angle where im sitting, but it still sounds pretty decent.

i am finding similar effect just by running my simulated setting using 2 speakers with 2 different reverbs settings as noted above.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Edit parameter of the week is:

Tone: All Triple
Decay: -16

EQ: Zone3 (I just used zone3)
+1.6dB
2KHz
Q:1.0
Key range: F3-Eb4

The Triple tone was a tad shy in the range above so opened it up. This is EQ setting within the tone where you can set the key range(not the master EQ).

Now the zone is consistent with the above and below keys. :D
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

i think the vpiano has completely adapted to my playing. it responds better to me now than it ever did.

it inspires me to practice and get better... never really got that kind of feel from an electronic instrument before. haven't even touched my G7/G8 the last few days. hahahaha.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

its been over 6wks and im still luving the VPiano as the day i got it. actually even more than the day i got it since i figured out the eq settings and various parameters, and the piano has adapted to my playing.

i mainly just use the AllTriple with a shorter delay and the parameter edit i did (posted above).

been playing it pretty much every morning and night.