V-Piano in ken's music room..

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
kenchan

Re: V-Piano in ken's music room..

Post by kenchan »

duh, for the last 4-5 months my head was so caught up in DAW based software pianos and the RD700NX i recently bought that i completely forgot to check for updates at the yamaha site for my CP1. well wat do you know, v1.10 was released last nov and i didnt' even know about it until today...

yamaha couldve atleast sent an email to me since i am a registered user...ANYWAY, going to try it tonight...
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

ok so v1.10 for CP1 to clean up their damper sympathetic resonance.... yah, it is better, but not realistic still like my RD700NX or VPiano. the update has less of the reverb-increasing kind of texture and the highest note seems to be excluded now from the damp resonance to even further lessen the fake reverb kind of sound. :)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

hey will probably get me the nord piano2 in a couple of months. :)

i like how they added the legato key-off feature and able to layer sounds. need to check if one can set the layer zone... if not i will probably not buy one. lol
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

scratch that idea about the piano2. it's now summer here and ive already spent thousands on my car hobby. lol...will wait until this winter if i still want it. with the RD700NX and CP1 combo in my music room ive got basically everything that i want for playing. i dont play organ or much of clavs either. just grand piano sounds and Mk1.

anyway, been playing my CP1 through my RD700NX's keys lately and it feels very good. i like the fact that the RD allows the user to set key sensitivity per patch...which means even between the CP1's sounds i can change the key sensitivity for example between Rhodes and CF3S. (^^)

wife's playing the vpiano in the background as i type. hahaha.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

so i recently got a copy of the new pianoteq stage4, a nice upgrade from the play4 that i had.
not too bad, the jazz piano sounds pretty good, actually.

but still sounds fake and harpsichord/banjo-ish sound. not a fan. hope their next upgrade is closer to the real thing. i did a back to back with my RD700NX, since it's also my master controller for my mbp, and the RD blows the pianoteq out of the water. :)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

hi guys. no change in my setup this summer. summer is kind of slow for new gear as i have another hobby that i do in the summer time.

been playing both my VP and NX pretty much everyday. enjoying every minute of it. wife's been practicing her classical piano playing too quite frequently on the VP. :)

i dont foresee getting any new gear anytime soon as i am really satisfied with the VP and NX.
mickeyl

V-Piano News?

Post by mickeyl »

Hi folks,

it's been pretty quiet with regards to the V-Piano. Any idea what Roland is up to? Will the original one will stick at the state of the Evolution OS? Did anyone buy a VP Grand yet? What software is it running?

Regards,

Mickey.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

hey there mikey. ive not read or heard anything if roland is going to be doing any updates or be releasing new virtual string piano's. considering there's really nothing 'wrong' or 'missing' on the current evolution os, i think there's really no need to do any updates on the VP as far as playability is concerned.

and ive not seen a vp grand in person yet...

i have a feeling roland might be releasing a wireless dongle (usb) to do sound editing off an iPad or something... i know there's an update for my RD700NX for this, but i've not done it. honestly i could careless about that kinda stuff.

my wife's been playing the VP often and other than probably getting a nicer monitor for it down the road, i will continue to play it as it is. :) it's been played almost every day. ive not gotten one scratch on the unit; still looking brand new since summer 2009.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

hope everyone had a nice holiday season. :) welcome back and happy new year!

for me, i swapped out my RD700NX to my CP1 again. the CP1's been resting the past year as i was playing my RD most of the time. CP definitely has a unique character and i found new ways to play with its velocity offsets making it a lot easier and fun to play for me. during the xmas break, i spent about 150hrs reprogramming the CP1. basically on every patch im now using both tone generators and splitting them at different parts of the keyboard with different amp and velocity settings of the same piano/electric piano. this makes the instrument a lot more dynamic to play without forcing the upper or lower registers sound overly done and out of control.

i played my VP quite a bit over the break too. :) the dynamics and playability is simply fantastic.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

everything's still running well on my VP. very reliable machine. :)

hope everyone's having a nice pre-Spring. almost through this snowy mess...well, for us at least.
dmaier

Post by dmaier »

Greetings Ken,

I have been reading this V-Piano thread for over a year now, since I first began shopping for a new keyboard. I had been playing piano and keyboards for most of my life and for the most part, have owned more Roland keyboards than any other maker.

About a year ago, after a lot of research I settled on purchasing an FP7F, because it was fitted with the PHA-III action, and I was not willing to invest in a V-Piano (yet.) I later learned that there are at least two different versions of the PHA-III action, as the FP7F action did not play at all like that of the V-Piano. So I sold it, and began the pro-and-con process between the RD-700nx and the (gulp) V-Piano. From the first time I sat down at the V-Piano, I never wanted to get up. It felt great, and I loved the solid build in the way that the whole thing would not shake. But, I hated the sound of it. The RD-700nx overall, just sounded fresh and pleasing. I could hear the brass in the strings and I was inspired to play it beyond just the nice feel of the keybed. But I wanted more of a piano playing experience rather than another keyboard, so I started to think more seriously about the V-Piano, and realized that I was probably going to end up with the most expensive controller on the market.

I'm a cellist and a pianist, arranger, composer and really do not have the head for tweaking sounds and parameters. You are really great with all of that. I've read every entry on this thread, and it has been an enormous help with understanding the V-Piano better and how might get it to sound more to my liking.. So thank you for that.

I still have not dug into the the sound shaping options on the V-piano, but one day I might. I've had the V for less than a year and use primarily Ivory 2. Since the Integra 7 was recently released, I have been seduced into thinking it would make a great match for the V-piano. I also followed your RD-700nx thread and it seems that we have arrived at similar places with the V, RD, and Itnegra7.

You went through various changes with your V-Piano set up. Now that it's in the living room, do you still run it through the mixer or enhance it in any outboard way to maintain the warmth? Thanks again,

Daniel
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

hi daniel- its good to hear others' experience with the roland supernatural piano's and the virtual string piano such as the VPiano. they are very different instruments.

My VPiano setup is straight (dry) to a pair of Yamaha HS50's. :) after setting up the tuning for each of the keys to how i liked it long time ago, it just sounds great the way it is.

if down the road i get a different monitor for my music room setup, i think i would run the HS80's on my VPiano, but i am pretty happy with the sonic qualities of the HS50 for now since our living room isn't too big and has a high ceiling so the piano sounds natural.

i think the integra7 will be a nice addition to the VPiano, but you might find it limited as the VPiano has no modulation or pitchbend controls. and quite honestly, I am not very fond of the electric piano's offerd by roland. that said, you might be happier just getting a laptop and run VST/AU instruments.

some of my favorite AU instruments are the Scarbee Mk1 and Steinberg Piano3. The C7 in there is very lively. Also NativeInstruments alicia's keys. that yamaha neo piano sounds uneven and nice. I run mac so I have other backing instruments like strings, bass, etc. on my AU setup i am limited with not having continuous pedal (damper) but that may/may not be an issue for you. I prefer to have continuous pedal, but for making backing tracks or composing music, it is not critical to have for me.

I rarely play the Vpiano with any other instruments though as I mainly run my Fantom G8 for composition.
jamallax89

Post by jamallax89 »

kenchan wrote:i got the V-Piano today. came in 2 large boxes on a wooden pallet. had to have the truck driver unload into my garage first. total shipping weight was approx 86kg with the pallet. so i would say 25kg for the box with stand, 44-45kg for the vpiano with box.

i played around with the V-Piano's 4band parametric EQ to rid some of the annoying room modes i have and walla. i just kept playing and playing and playing and playing.. hahaha.

i luv it. it's a nice unit. beautifully made. will play with the EQ's a tad more to get it perfected with the room acoustics. :) for headphones im running a AKG240.

the stand is super stable. i cant shake it while playing. :)
hey mate,
need some brilliant and exclusive music sheet on online for your new piano?
try this following link and have fun....trust me, you wont regret....
http://www.brassmusiconline.com
laithrom

Post by laithrom »

Nice to hear that, You got V-Piano, I am also too fond of playing guitar and love to hear the music of great guitarist!!!

Thanks for sharing with us

Piano Music Album