SYSEX memory restore on Juno 2

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
thomohawk

SYSEX memory restore on Juno 2

Post by thomohawk »

No matter what I try to do to restore the factory soundbank on my alpha Juno 2 it will not work because I'm probably doing something wrong. The thing which is really annoying me is thte fact that I have downloaded the patch file from the Roland website and have followed the instructions to reset the unit which came in that folder. Those instructions didn't work. I then found a site which mentioned about using the "write" keys when going through the motiond of the bulk load but that didn't work either. I've tried every variation of all of these and none work. I've even had Roland tech support reply to my support request and they told me to just turn memory protect to OFF, sysexcl to ON (all as the instructions) but just to boot the unit up and just play the file in then disconnect the midi cable. When I was told that I thought, wtf? that easy? but obviously not. The preset bank is still as it should be according to the manual but it's the memory bank that's been wiped.
I need to restore this but no matter what I do I can't. Can anyone help?
JunoJohn

Re: SYSEX memory restore on Juno 2

Post by JunoJohn »

Welcome to the Roland Clan, thomohawk!

Here's the correct procedure:

1) Press and hold the DATA TRANSFER button…
2) Press and hold the WRITE button…
3) Press and hold the 2 (BULK LOAD) button…
4) When the LCD shows Bulk Load MIDI.o release all three buttons
5) Have your sequencer play the MIDI file or "dump" the SysEx, if that option is available

Note that you should see Bulk Load MIDI.o in the display. Bulk Load MIDI.. indicates you did not press the WRITE button.

The MIDI channel number of your JU-2 must match that of the SysEx file you are loading. It is probably channel 1. (Technically speaking, we are dealing with the Device ID. But with most synths of this era, that is automatically set to the channel number minus one.)

The Memory Protect switch on the back panel must, of course, be OFF. But MIDI EXCL can be either ON or OFF for bulk loads and dumps.
I have downloaded the patch file from the Roland website
Which website are you referring to? Please post a link!! I'd like to check it out.
thomohawk

Post by thomohawk »

Hi John! thanks so much for this-have just tried this but when I've used Sonar to dump the sysex data/ or actually played the file, the unit just stays on the bulk load message. What do I need to do after that? should the unit just accept the data and then give a different message or do I turn the unit off or what? Here's the link for the file anyway, http://www.roland.co.uk/Support/Downloa ... atches.zip
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

When the load is complete, Bulk Load MIDI.o will be replaced by Bulk Load ..END. You then simply select any Tone to clear that message and resume normal operation. There should be no need to flip the power switch for any of this.

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded the folder. If I get the chance tonight (Sunday morning for you, I think), I'll play with it and see what's going on.

I've edited my posts to change Bulk Load.o to Bulk Load MIDI.o and Bulk Load.. to Bulk Load MIDI.. I hope that error didn't confuse you.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

If your JU-2 has P-11 PolySynth1 as its startup Tone, then you can load the Memory Group from the MKS50RIG.MID file in the folder. This will restore the factory sounds.

To do this, you need to follow the procedure I posted above, but play (or dump) just the second group of 16 SysEx messages. (They appear in measures 8-12 in my sequencer.) When Bulk Load ..END. appears, press any button and you're done.

FYI, the MKS50RIG.MID file contains five groups of SysEx messages. The first group of 16 messages is the Preset Group (for JU-1, JU-2, HS-10, and HS-80) or "A Group" (for the MKS-50). You can also load that group if you wish; that will simply make your Memory Group a duplicate of your Preset Group. The third and fourth groups of 16 messages are specific to the MKS-50 and cannot be loaded into the keyboards. The final group (just one message) is also for the MKS-50 only.

If you instead have P-11 Brass 1 as your startup Tone…well…unfortunately I don't have a source for those Memory Group sounds. I wish I did!!

The JUNO_ORI.MID file does not have the original sounds.
thomohawk

Post by thomohawk »

Cheers for this John!!
My startup tone is unfortunately, you guessed it "P-11 Brass 1"
So it looks like I'm a bit screwed does it not. I'm wondering now if the only way this is going to be possible is if I can find someone with the original Memory patch in tact or not too different-which I suppose is going to be impossible but obviously if I can find somebody with the memory patch not too tweaked I could maybe ask them if I could be sneaky and dump that to the cartridge (which I also don't have but I'm sure I might be able to borrow one should anyone let me or even try find one which I actually did a while back, obviously to no avail).
Is that possible anyway? Can you dump the memory bank to cartridge from one unit and load to another? Suppose maybe you can but without meaning to sound monotonous finding this will be very difficult perhaps. This is all new to me really, I had no idea when starting out that the poor thing could end up like this. I did ages ago buy a sound bank CD off ebay with sysex data for Juno2 but I don't think I've got it anymore and at the time: and still now really: I'm not exacty sure what I'm doing with sysex. As with all sysex data stuff there are the warnings about overwriting and making sure your patches are backed up. I didn't even end up writing that data to it and so I'd wasted my money really. Just wondering now if there's any way of getting the data back. I think this will probably end up a no-go'er in a pessamistic (if that's how you soell it) train of thought (sorry I'm really hungover and unfortunately at work with another 5 hours to go).
I'll look forward to any replies though John. Cheers very much for your help! Means a lot.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Sorry to here about the P-11 Brass 1 , my JU-2 has the same issue. I haven't given up looking for the original Memory Group sounds.
Can you dump the memory bank to cartridge from one unit and load to another?
Sure. You can also connect any two Alpha Juno's with a pair of MIDI cables and transfer the sounds that way. It's all in the manual. Here's a link to download the manual if you don't already have it.

Your JU-2 can load either of the two groups in the MKS50RIG.MID file. They won't be the correct sounds, but they are Roland's.

To clarify a little bit : Roland produced Alpha Juno's with two different, original sets of 128 Tones. The earlier (I think) set starts with P-11 Brass 1 while the later (I think) set starts with P-11 PolySynth1. The HS-10, HS-80, and MKS-50 seem to all come with the later set. The JU-1 and JU-2 seem to be mixed between the two. There is considerable overlap between the sets.
aksmaster

Post by aksmaster »

I just acquired an AlphaJuno 2, later model (P-11 PolySnth1). This synth is actually quite a pleasure to edit, contrary to widespread belief. I have filled the Memory bank with my own edits in a few hours, but when I tried to send these patches to my Mac with the tried an trust SysEx Librarian, I got stuck. I followed the manual procedure, but all I get is "1 message 6 bytes" (surely that can't be all the 64 patches) while the JUno shows "Bulk Dump MIDI.." ...forever
I checked midi channel/ID, double-checked the button pushes. I must be missing something. Any suggestions? Cheers.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Welcome to the Roland Clan, aksmaster!

To send the Memory Group (64 Tones) to a computer, you must also press the WRITE button. Here's the correct procedure:

1) Set SysEx Librarian to receive…
2) Press and hold the DATA TRANSFER button…
3) Press and hold the WRITE button…
4) Press and hold the 1 (BULK DUMP) button…
5) When the LCD shows Bulk Dump MIDI.o release all three buttons.

Note that you should see Bulk Dump MIDI.o in the display. Bulk Dump MIDI.. indicates you did not press the WRITE button.

To load from SysEx Librarian, you must also press WRITE button. See my first post in this thread for details.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

You can also send single Tones to SysEx Librarian. Just make the following MIDI settings…

MIDI Local ON
MIDI Program Change OFF
MIDI System Exclusive ON

…and select the Tone on the JU-2.
aksmaster

Post by aksmaster »

Thanks JJ. I suspected there was something missing from the procedure described in the manual, which probably is just for sending bulk dumps to another Juno. The hint for sending single patches is great for compiling "best of" selections! I assume that one can also load back a single patch...maybe following the same procedure for bulk receive, but just sending the single patch file sysex?
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

You're welcome, aksmaster.

For sending a single tone to the Juno, you only need to transmit it from SysEx Librarian. As long as the Juno's MIDI System Exclusive is ON, it will automatically receive it.

There is one problem with this. If you try to save the Tone, the parameters will be saved but the name will be ignored. You will need to rename the saved Tone manually on the Juno.
Perseus Traxx

Post by Perseus Traxx »

Hi there - I'm new to the forum and am having some problems with the sysex transfer.

Many years ago when I used a pc I was able to transfer individual tones to my Juno 1, but I seem unable to transfer anything now (sort of).

I use a mac and SySex Librarian and it works fine with my Waldorf Pulse. It also seems to receive transmissions from my Alpha 1 (manufacturer: roland. 266 bytes).

I accidently wrote over the helicopter patch (no big loss) - though I'm not sure how and I fear using larger files and erasing all my patches.

As such, I've been trying to dump my single patches following the instructions given, then reload them into a patch that doesn't matter (helicopter for example) as a test. Even though I have followed the instructions to the letter, and set the midi channel correctly too, SySex Librarian "plays" but the Juno stays on
Bulk Load MIDI.o until canceled.

Any advice on this as i'd really like to start being a bit more organised with my patches and having them backed up.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Welcome to the Roland Clan, Perseus Traxx!

My previous post was probably not clear enough.

There are two completely different procedures for transmitting and receiving Tones. One procedure is for transmitting and receiving an entire Group of 64 Tones. A second procedure is for transmitting and receiving individual Tones.

For a Group of 64 Tones, you need to perform a Bulk Dump or Bulk Load. This involves pressing the DATA TRANSFER button, maybe the WRITE button, and either the 1 or 2 buttons.

For an individual Tone (in other words, a "single patch") you do not use the DATA TRANSFER button method. Instead, to transmit a Tone, you just select it on the Juno with the buttons to the right of the display. To receive a Tone, you simply transmit it from the computer; you don't need to do anything on the Juno.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Perseus Traxx, is your startup Tone P-11 Brass 1 or P-11 PolySynth1? If the latter, you can restore your factory Memory Group, all 64 Tones including M-82 Helicopter, by using the link in thomohawk's message and following the method described earlier in this thread.

I should be able to upload the individual Tone M-82 Helicopter if you would like to try loading that.
To receive a Tone, you simply transmit it from the computer; you don't need to do anything on the Juno.
Well, you do need to have MIDI System Exclusive set to ON. And the MIDI Channel number must match that of the System Exclusive message.

Also, the Tone is only loaded into the edit buffer. You will need to save it to a memory location if you want to keep it in the Juno. To do this, hold the WRITE button and press the Bank and Number buttons for where you want to save it, like "82." This will erase any Tone that is already stored there.