SYSEX memory restore on Juno 2

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
imneflat

Re: SYSEX memory restore on Juno 2

Post by imneflat »

JunoJohn,

You're the BEST!!!!! I've been trying to figure this thing out for MONTHS!!!! I don't know how I missed this forum...probably looking too hard.hahahaha

I successfully saved each custom patch individually on my mac via sysex librarian. However, when I performed a bulk dump, I saw a file but it was only 16 msgs. I have over 30 patches that I saved...why did it only say "16" msgs? Is that normal?

Thanks again for your help to us all!
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

A Bulk Dump transmits a series of 16 SysEx messages in quick succession. Each message includes the parameters for 4 Tones. 16 x 4 Tones gives you 64 Tones.

SysEx Librarian treats these 16 messages as just one message with a length of 4256 bytes. This is convenient.

Sequencers seem to see a Bulk Dump as 16 distinct messages of 266 bytes each. (16 x 266 bytes = 4256 bytes.) This is a little messy.

Either way, it is the same thing. The important question is: Does your Alpha Juno load the SysEx message(s) that you have dumped?
MikeyJuno

Post by MikeyJuno »

Hi,

A while ago we were editing sounds in the Memory bank of our HS-80 synthesizer (which I believe is a repackaged Juno 2 synthesizer) and the tone M-58 Bell Chime 3 accidentally got overwritten. I would very much like to recover this tone, but I don't really want to lose some of our custom tones, so I would prefer to add just this one if it is possible.

This synthesizer has the tone P-11 PolySynth1 as its start-up tone so I'm hoping that the file that was talked about earlier in the thread (MKS50RIG.MID) will be helpful for recovering this tone.

Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with transferring data between computers and synthesizers, so I am unsure how to go about doing this. I was hoping to find a parameter chart and manually code it on the synthesizer (or extract the parameters from the MID/sysex file and do the same) but so far I have been unsuccessful so I'm hoping that someone here can maybe help me out with recovering this tone.

Thank you all very much! This thread has given me a lot of hope and new ideas!

EDIT: Incidentally I stumbled across another file that claims to have the factory settings in a sysex format, http://www.vintagesynth.com/patches/alphajun.zip. I'm not sure if it'll help though.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

SynthPlus 80! That is a rare beast!

Click on the following to see it full-size or just download it.
Bell Chime 3.png
Bell Chime 3.png (41.84 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
When you have the time, I strongly recommend that you learn how to transfer data between your synth and your computer. Computers make patch management much easier (and even fun.)
ErnestCant51

kerry propper

Post by ErnestCant51 »

I was very pleased to read this. All the info will help me in my day to day life.
MikeyJuno

Post by MikeyJuno »

Thank you so very much!!!!!
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

You're welcome!
vomex

Post by vomex »

Dear JunoJohn,
I want to thank you for that great sysex Juno Tutorial! Got my alpha juno 1 back some month ago (I borrowed it to my nephew for 14 Years) and no originial User preset was left. Wit the the second part of the MK-50 sequence (thank you thomohawk) it was possible to restore them all. Here you can download for a while the User Preset Sequence: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20178955/User% ... 0Juno1.syx
BTW, I have a model with Brass on P11...:)
Thank You so much
Best, vomex
blouis

Bulk load error on Juno 1

Post by blouis »

Hi!

I have a Roland alpha Juno-1 and I'm trying to send a sound bank to it, using the described method in this thread (with a Macbook and Sysex Librarian). Something strange happens though:

The Bulk Load process seems to be finished, because I get the ...END message on my Juno. But when I go through the tones it's like there's been errors. For starters, the patch names are all crazy, like "M-11 LOtooTgBCm". The programs seems to have random errors as well, with lots of noise on many of them.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks!
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Welcome to the Roland Clan, Blouis!

Does this problem occur with every Group that you Bulk Load or just the one?
blouis

Post by blouis »

Thanks!

Yes, it happens with all sound banks I'm trying to transmit. And they're from different sites as well. I first thought that the files where corrupted, but seems not.

Could my Juno be broken?

Or could it have something to do with my computer setup?
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Here are a few ideas:

1) Different MIDI cable.

Try one if you've got one.

2) Test the RAM.

Power on the JU-1 while holding down the OCT DOWN and MIDI buttons. The display will indicate either RAM CHECK OK!! or RAM wr/rd ERR!!

3) Copy the PRESET Group to the MEMORY Group.

Power on the JU-1 while holding down the PORTAMENTO and KEY TRANSPOSE buttons. Warning: This erases the MEMORY Group! Check if the copied Tones are still being scrambled.

With 2) and 3) you may need to power the synth off and on to use it normally.
blouis

Post by blouis »

Thanks! I will try this.
blouis

Post by blouis »

OK, so I've tried a few things.

Tried different MIDI cables, same issue.

Checked RAM on Juno, got "OK".

Copied the presets to the memory bank, worked fine (no scrambled tones).

But still, when I try to load a complete bank from a sysex file, transmitted from Sysex Librarian on my Macbook running Os X 10.9, it gets all scrambled on the Juno. And I discovered something weird too – it doesn't matter which sysex file I'm trying to transmit to the juno, I still get the exact same scrambled patches in the memory bank (same weird patch names and sound). So even if I try to send different memory banks, the results are the same. Get's me thinking there's is some hickup in my Juno, when it comes to the Bulk load routine?

I've tried to send just a single patch from my computer to the juno (sysex) and it works fine. No scrambled name or sound.
blouis

Post by blouis »

Also tried another software (C6), with the same results.