GW8

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
SAYAN

GW8

Post by SAYAN »

Hi all, for me the keyboard seems cool and is the right one for my type of use as I use the auto accompanyment also. The PIANO sounds gr8. Piano layered with strings is just supperb. But I think that while registering the favourite tones, the individual tone parameters like delay, attack, release etc cannot be stored. I tried but could not succeed. If anybody have done that please let me know how. Or if it is not possiblr on board if there is any alternate options.

OK I have some queries. I have GW8A, the asian version. Can I download latin styles and patches from the net into it so that I can use them also?

Also can I create a new accompanyment style from scratch on the keyboard without using a PC?
cminor

Re: GW8

Post by cminor »

First of all.
The only way you can save those CC is to save as performance.
About the latin styles, it can be used, but some of the world instruments may be different so you must "guess" and change them in style makeup (must upgrade to OS 2.0 first).
I am not a style user, I am playing live at GW8E (east europe) but I've made some styles for a friend.
the fastest way is style converter, you must record on s software sequencer the all the parts of a style and then export them as midi file (read the help).
On short, you must write down, how many measures have the intro 1, 2,3,4 the main 1,2,3,4, the fill 1,2,3,4 , the endings, 1,2,3,4 and export 3 versions
1 - Major Chord
2 - Minor Chord
3- 7th Major Chord.

and save it as the Style COnverter program name it.
(when you make style converter project, it ask for those measeures, and it saves 3 midi files - M, m,7th - and form sequencer you save as and rewrite those midi.

After creating that style you can make fine tune-ups in style makeup tools (on the GW8)
Gupta

Post by Gupta »

Hi Sayan

I recently bought GW-8 and its Latin style. I am really looking forward to get the all the Asian styles. I could make all the Latin Style available to you (exporting it and uploading to this forum). Also if you too can share Asian Styles this way would be great!

Let me know what do you think

Thanks
rshivk

Post by rshivk »

Mine is GW-8A.

Did you notice an erratic Measure (Meas) display?

During Style play when there are no chord changes the Meas displays the measure number correctly. When there are chord changes (say after 4 or 5 chord changes) the Meas display will keep going instead of coming back to 1.
I have brought this bug out to the notice of Indian Dealers, M/s Rivera Digitech who might forward it to Roland.

I had also requested for following features
1. Tempo Lock for Style Changes
2. On board volume control for individual parts of a song (MIDI).

If you are elsewhere and have means to report bugs faster kindly do so.
SAYAN

Post by SAYAN »

I have recorded a SONG (Just tone) and saved it in the USB and trying to play along with it as the backing track. But while playing I want to use a different tone. But I found that the recorded tone is also getting changed to the tone to the one I am trying to play. Is there any way to lock the recorded tone and play with a different tone? Please help.
cminor

Post by cminor »

yes...
movethe recorded track to another track then 4 or 11 (upper and lower) ;)
rshivk

Post by rshivk »

I have made a few featrure requests for GW8. A discussion is on at the following link:
http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php?topic=1261.0
I think GW8 lacks a lot in arranger section. Let us strive to get a better GW8.
Regards
cminor

Post by cminor »

"An Error Has Occurred!
The letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture."
After trying and trying, I give up...
This is the worst picture recognition sistem...
The CIA must have a better register form :p

The most enoughing bug is that not all the tones can send reverb/chorus directly, some of them can only thru master fx(and the sends will make actualy the MFX sends to have the values so all the tones (including kit drums) that have been directed to MFX will have that value for reverb and chorus.
this si bad when you send thru MFX the drums and some lead with delay.... the drums will have te same delay amount...
And not all usb-stick are working (write error)... but still no usb stick compatibility list get...
And I guess that, the sonic cell editor, can be "patched" for GW8.
;)
About that, the future update I hope it will contain a mode of loading/saving single performance not ALL.
Maybe I want just 2-3 performances of a set (sound set).
And the second big problem is that, NONE of the Style Instruments is responding to Attack, and release.
So if you want to make a style , that controls the release or the attack of a style instrument, the controllers are not recognized.
I have try with Cymbalom and Finger Master (bass) and some other tones, but non of them works.
If you assign them to upper or lower, yes, it works, but on the style channels, they don't.
rshivk

Post by rshivk »

Hi cminor, sayan and gupta,

Have a look at
http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf
I have opened a topic there listing out general missing features in GW8
Post the bugs and your feature requests on GW8 there also.
Let us get Roland's attention quickly.

Regards
rshivk
cminor

Post by cminor »

rshivk have you try to read all I've write above?
I CAN'T REGISTER!
rshivk

Post by rshivk »

I have read your posts here in this forum.
I have registered in the other other forum only a week ago.
I have not seen your posts there.
I do not think you should have any difficulty in registering.
Have you read my posts there?
It seems Roland has made a mess with GW8.
Hopefully my Indian Authorized Dealer for Roland will draw Roland's attention to that forum discussions.
Kindly try and register and post in that forum also.
Regards
rshivk.
cminor

Post by cminor »

Roland had to make a quick update for GW-8, because on System 1.04 the GW-8 was not to "bright" and all the sounds of the GW8 worth nothing without editing, songs and styles, and most of the new fuctions added in OS 2.0 (I have translated the romanian version), are really usefull.
The update was made to quickly and with some bugs.
I try to post on the site you post the link, but I can not register there.
After 10-12 errors, with :
"An Error Has Occurred!
The letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture."
... I gave up and write you here...
Maybe here is a better idea to make those demands (or ask nicely ;) ) because, as I heard, Artemiy is an admin but, olso a good moderator, with close relationship with the Roland Team.
So on the Rolandclan site, is a bigger chance to be heard...
rshivk

Post by rshivk »

If that is the case just leave them here only.
Whichever be the forum Roland should see that.
If you have an authorized dealer in your country, you can draw Roland's attention through them.
SAYAN

Post by SAYAN »

Hi Guys,
I think that I have not got those errors till now or I might have missed them. But here I have a new query. Its regarding style composing. What does major, minor and 7th mode signifies in style recording? Let me tell u where my doubt is. My previous keyboard was Yamaha PSR630. There style recording means you create the style tracks for the first bar. Then it loops automatically. There was no concept of major, minor and 7th modes. Can anybody tell me what do they mean. The Roland GW8 manual is horrible. It do not describe anything regarding this.
rshivk

Post by rshivk »

Hi Sayan,

My previous Keyboard was PSR 740.
Style tracks can be for many bars. (Normally not more than 4).
There you are required to choose the root note (normally it is C).
Then you can generate accompaniment tracks using the notes in CMajor7 chord (except tracks 9 and 10 which are drums and percussions track).
Yamaha is more intelligent it can generate accompaniment for all recognizable chords from this.

Coming to Roland ...
It requires us to generate individual part for Major, Minor and Major7. From these three Roland will derive other recognizable chords. It can be considered as a kind of flexibility. In GW8 Version2 under stylemaker menu there is an option EzConvert which will generate the required Minor and Major7 accompaniment parts easily from Major accompaniment parts. You need to refer to GW8 Version 2 manual for that.

Hope you have updated your GW8 to Version 2.