ROLAND gw8 or YAMAHA psr s710

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
tom_

ROLAND gw8 or YAMAHA psr s710

Post by tom_ »

hi iam a gigging musician&singer,can anyone suggest wish of the above stated arranger keyboard is better.thankx in advance
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: ROLAND gw8 or YAMAHA psr s710

Post by Artemiy »

Would recommend the GW-8 because it is based on the Fantom-X sound engine and is much closer in the sound quality to a pro workstation.
cminor

Post by cminor »

I'll say GW-8.
For 128 notes polifony, for FantomXA, and Sonic Cell best tones (more then 1300), for separate MFX for upper / Lower / Style, for the usb stick that reads midi, mp3 and wave. For the new OS with internal editor for styles and sequencer.
For usb-midi, for 128 performances, and 100 user-styles (not forget the 128 and more internal - I don't know the L, A , C version I have a E version).
You better go and test as sound, styles, and specification both of them.
Don't be fulled by the speakers...
Even a mini-concert is with the keyboard on a mixer thru a PA Monitor.
No concert is given by the onboard speakers.
And let me say... it looks so unprofessional if it has speakers....
http://www.trilulilu.ro/cminor/824c3a57334dcf
this is just a quick demo, a 3 minutes relaxing play at my GW8-E
tom_

Post by tom_ »

thankx for your reply,but please also answer some of my questions regarding gw8
*is it possible to get total of 4 different tones at a time i.e in left hand bass+slow strings & in right hand ac guitar+silk pad. & also it can be palyed in the above stated way along with the style +accompiniment playing.or if not is there any way to make it possible [note:its very common to find this feature in yamaha arranger keyboards,to be true it make the sound richer&is very usefull when playing a one man band]

*as i read music /sing & play togther ,a music rest is a must for me.does gw8 have a music rest attacthment,or if it dosn't is there a way to fix one to the instrument?

*can one recall various tones+setting+styles instantly by pressing any one of the buttons of the registration memory .

*can gw 8 be used as a vst controller via usb to pc& is there any specified software to access & use the sonic tones of gw8 while connected to a pc in midi sequencing[like in korg m 50 workstation].
cminor

Post by cminor »

1. GW8 has only upper and lower, meaning two tones that can be set as dual OR split (not both in the same time). the only way I could use more was thru midi with other midi controller (PCR-500), but I had to make some maps to send the Program Change/Control Change for the tones I loved.
The good news is that GW8 saved in the performance the settings I've don on channels that in the GW8 menu can't be seen ( channels from 11 to 16 and 9, channels that are visible only in song mode for GW8).
2.No it doesn't have music rest, GW is designed as Workstation not entertainment keyboard. The only way is to get those X stands attachements, that could be for one more keyboard (dual stand) or music rest.
3.Sonic Cell tones? They are in the tone list, yes. VST Controller? Did you mean Midi Controller or what? es you can use GW8 as a midi controller thru MIDI or USB-Midi and work with internal or VST instruments (As I do in Cubase 4).
If you need the XML file, I have one made by me.
As personal advise, the most powerfull difference between the PSR S710 and GW8 is the SOUND.
Then, internaly PSR S710 has 1,4MB, as I knoww from some users, the external is only for Midi SOngs, not for styles, so, 1,4MB is very little for user styles.
GW8 have 100 user style option, and about 16MB (as I calculate when the space was full with 100 user styles and about 270 Midi songs).
Better go and test the sounds of both, but on PA not some PC Speakers or Headphones.
You will hear the difference.
tom_

Post by tom_ »

thank you very much for that information,well wish there was an easy way to get 4 layerd tones,along with the accompiniment+style playing in gw8, as i had mentioned earlier.well i also think i must go for a gw8,at present iam having a yamaha e403,,,two different products of two varied companies will indeed increase my tone+style bank..anyhow i would love to have the xml file you have prepared,thankx in advance..i need to check the price of gw8A here at my local roland dealer...
tom_

Post by tom_ »

new discussions on this topic,,is most welcome..please share your valuable knowledge..thank u
cminor

Post by cminor »

If you search on the tone list, they are some tones already mixed with strings, chorus, or pads. So for some piano strings layers you already have those dual.
E403 is really a "plastic" sound.
A "student" of mine has it and when I try to teach her something 7/8 measure, I saw that the "user style" is actually just one.
even if I did find about 5-8 styles for that keyboard you can load only one style (166 number as I remember) and the loading take some times...
What kind of music do you want to play?
Maybe the owners of GW8 and S710 will put here some demos.
I play pop-rock on my keyboard (live not with styles) but sometimes home I play folk music or covers.
tom_

Post by tom_ »

thank for that information,dual sound in gw8..good.regarding my e403,ya it does sound plastic,but what to do,i got it 2 yrs ago,but i like the instrument,i made& have loaded a 7/8 style in it,which is needed by me in most ocassions,fine works,its is very much better than those cheap big casio's.the minus point is its too less memory,so every time i gig i have to reload my sequenced midi tracks through pc,thats an headache..iam into western,ethnic,asian fussion...genere,,,most probally iwill go for a gw8..as ithink it will surely meet most of my needs..its a good upgrade from my exisitng keyboard..i really apriciate your valuable experience&guidance in this matter,thanx pal
cminor

Post by cminor »

Better check the GW8-E sound list.(not asian GW8-A or latyn GW8-L)
From Guerinni to Asian sounds, from Dulcimer (tzambal to some) to Nay, pan flute, Mizmar, Folk Violin, and more ethnic tones.
tom_

Post by tom_ »

here in india,only gw8 A is available..
tom_

Post by tom_ »

are there any indian percussion instruments like tabla,mridangam,dhol,duff in gw8 ?or if not can we add those tones from other roland high end synth like fantom/juno g with the pendrive or pc
rshivk

Post by rshivk »

Hi Tom,

I have GW8A.
I would welcome you to the following forum
http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/
and know about drawbacks of GW8A.

There is every likelihood that you may feel GW8A a bit unfriendly. Many of the onboard controls you see in Yamaha will be missing.

This one has tabla, dhol and not mridangam.
PSR S710 has wonderful samples of all these and other Indian percussion instruments.

Do not make a hasty purchase. I would STRONGLY recommend PSR S710 or even PSR S910. PSR S710 sells for the same price as GW8A in India.
If you like those wonderful Roland Drum kits and if you want a second keyboard buy GW8A as the second one.

Where are you in India?
If you are very particular on GW8A then I can announce the SALE of mine.
You can contact me at rshivk@rediffmail.com

You may even consider KORG PA500. But it does not have mridangam samples. PA500 has touchscreen.

GW8 does not have provision for music rest. Performance banks can be stored and recalled.

Visit Yamaha Music Square and feel free to play PSR S710. You will find for yourself. Indian Percussion tones are authentic. You can also use styles off the USB memory (Pen Drive) - no need to load into the limited internal memory.

As cminor has cautioned you have to check the Line Out of Yamaha.
In GW8 Line Out is totally noise-free.

Regards
tom_

Post by tom_ »

hi,thank u very much for that information,in fact iliked the psr s 710,but only because of its weight i was a little hesitant to go for it.well after all this now i think i will go for s 710.its good that you shared your gw 8 details with me..

regarding myself iam a small time musician /singer,based in baroda..where are u from?
rshivk

Post by rshivk »

I am from Cochin,

Since you are a singer, probably vocal harmony will be useful to you.
You may look for S910. After all it will be a one time purchase.
I had PSR740 which had vocal harmony working very well.

Regards