how to switch on bypass on vk8m ?

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
sunny pedaal

how to switch on bypass on vk8m ?

Post by sunny pedaal »

anybody knows a way how to bypass the lesly oon the vk8m.
it should be possible , and i need it to connect my external lesly
maybe someone knows a way/ preferably with shortcut command.
( i also sent this question directly to roland but got no answers yet )
fr.gr. sunny
PauloF

Re: how to switch on bypass on vk8m ?

Post by PauloF »

The only way I know is by pressing the • ROTARY [BRAKE] button, and then saving it as one of the Parameters that are stored in a registration.
sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal »

thanks you !
, but brake is different from bypass ( in frequenty limitation and also in brake the hightones are panned)
i need the real bypass which i only found in upgraded patches bought from 3th party preset sellers, and which is referred to in the vk8m sysex implementation.
when i take patch4-2 of the third pary presets i have real bypass
however slight touching of the brake or speedbutton switches bypass off again , and i don't find a practical solution to how to put it on again. i'm sure there must be some way, some button combination or some command or whatever that can be given in.
howardS

Post by howardS »

sunny pedaal, what happens when you edit the Amplifier type and set it to 0 as set out on page 40 of the manual? Does that act as a bypass?
sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal »

no, that section refers to the "deep editting "mode and is just an led indication of value of the selected thing you want to edit by example the EQ, or the woofer level.
however , as you can see on page 41, rotary bypass can not be selected this way ( which i think is irrational ).
only in the sysex pages i found an "very hidden" adress for switching bypass on, but sysex values cannot easily be editted and send during performance or in genaral ( also due to checksums which aren't neccesary for this kind of short messages to my opinion)
. i'm looking into that path now, but haven't found the proper way yet, so all help is welcomed
chipsy

Post by chipsy »

sunny pedal - did you ever work out how to bypass the rotary on the VK8M?

Also, is the southside upgrade pack worth investing in? I just bought a VK8M and am considering the purchase?

Thanks
howardS

Post by howardS »

Well, it doesn't look like anyone posted an answer so I will. I picked up a VK8M today and want to use my Neo Ventilator as my Leslie so I needed to turn on the bypass function on the VK-8m. In order to turn on the rotary bypass on the VK8M you need to send the following command to the VK-8M:

F0 41 10 00 4D 12 10 00 20 05 01 4A F7

If you want to turn bypass off and thereby use the internal rotary effect you need to then send:

F0 41 10 00 4D 12 10 00 20 05 00 4B F7

I simply created a song file on my Fantom X6 and created two RPS patterns. One turns it on and the other off. I always keep it off but if I want to change it or something happens I will have my song file nearby and simply trigger the RPS pattern.

As a note, the second last number of each sysex command above, 4A and 4B, is the checksum and is set automatically on the Fantom. You also don't need to add F7 as it also adds this automatically.
billw

Post by billw »

howardS wrote:Well, it doesn't look like anyone posted an answer so I will. I picked up a VK8M today and want to use my Neo Ventilator as my Leslie so I needed to turn on the bypass function on the VK-8m. In order to turn on the rotary bypass on the VK8M you need to send the following command to the VK-8M:

F0 41 10 00 4D 12 10 00 20 05 01 4A F7

If you want to turn bypass off and thereby use the internal rotary effect you need to then send:

F0 41 10 00 4D 12 10 00 20 05 00 4B F7

I simply created a song file on my Fantom X6 and created two RPS patterns. One turns it on and the other off. I always keep it off but if I want to change it or something happens I will have my song file nearby and simply trigger the RPS pattern.

As a note, the second last number of each sysex command above, 4A and 4B, is the checksum and is set automatically on the Fantom. You also don't need to add F7 as it also adds this automatically.
Thanks for this info!! How long does the bypass setting last? Does it revert to the internal sim if you power it off and back on?
howardS

Post by howardS »

You're welcome, billw.

That command sends the sysex to the temporary patch loaded at that moment. So what I did was to simply save the patch to #1 after sending the command. Now every time I start my VK8M that patch comes up and the bypass is on.
billw

Post by billw »

howardS wrote:You're welcome, billw.

That command sends the sysex to the temporary patch loaded at that moment. So what I did was to simply save the patch to #1 after sending the command. Now every time I start my VK8M that patch comes up and the bypass is on.
Gotcha...that's actually perfect! I only have 3 saved sounds that I use so I can just make a copy of those with the Leslie sim disabled in case I feel like dragging out the Ventilator.

Thanks for the quick response,
Bill
howardS

Post by howardS »

That'll work, Bill.
Howard