XR VS XV-5080: Any good cheap piano sample cds ?

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
ProgressiveD

XR VS XV-5080: Any good cheap piano sample cds ?

Post by ProgressiveD »

Hi
I'm still undecided about buying or not the great Fantom XR to complement my Motif and Triton, both classics.

The XR sells at a low price of 1600 can here (=1210 us $, thanks to the poor performance of the us dollar in the last year). But I've got an offer for a XV-5080 in like new condition from a studio, that would sell for 1100 (830 us$). A xv-5080 at that price is pretty cheap: a year ago, I could only get a xv-3080 for that price.

If I include the taxes on a new XR unit, that makes roughly a 500us difference between the two. Now, the thing that might makes me spend that 500$ more for the Xr it's because of it's piano sounds (not just for the piano, I also like the 1U, the USB connector, 6 SRX, etc, but the piano is what I would call the decisive factor). So I've been wondering if there was a simple way to get a good piano sound in a sample library for my Motif, my Triton, or a XV-5080, without breaking the bank (I don't want to end up paying as much than a XR). ?

Also, considering my interest in a Roland module, what would you choose ? Do you think going for the "aged" XV-5080 is a bad move ?
mucsusn

Re: XR VS XV-5080: Any good cheap piano sample cds ?

Post by mucsusn »

No-Brainer, this one. The XR all the way.........expandability, another sampler, tons of sounds. Put the screws in the rack and put it to work.

You've already got two last generation tone generator's........
GregC

Post by GregC »

hey ProD, good question about acoustic piano for the 5080.

The years I have been on 5080 Yahoo group, I have not read about a good cheap acoustic piano sample you can load.
To be sure , go to that group and the XV Yahoo group , either search postings or join the mailing list group and post the question.
You also go down the slippery slope of how subjective acoustic piano sounds are. You do not want to settle for the XV acoustic pianos.
Why not try out ksounds kawai/baldwin acoustic acoustic pianos for your Classic Triton ? He makes a 64 meg version. I think its $130 US.
Getting back to XR vs 5080, its my opinion you would be wasting your $ on the 5080 since the XR is worth a lot more than the $500 difference.

GregC
ProgressiveD

Post by ProgressiveD »

Ok, I think I'll have to forget about the xv-5080.
I heard the Ksounds demo, and I think it should get the work done, but I think 130us for just some sampled pianos is expensive a bit, almost the price of a used SRX card !
I'll wait at NAMM then, if Roland can just get this sample translator done...
RJones

Post by RJones »

ProD,

Until you get that new XR into your rack, you might want to take a look at the SplendidGrand library (for your Motif Classic) on MoBros.org.

It's free which seems to meet at least one of your criteria and is getting great reviews. I built this Motif voice library a couple of weeks ago. If there is enough interest, I may port it to the Fantom X in the future.

Rodney
ProgressiveD

Post by ProgressiveD »

Thanks Rodney.
I got the XR a few weeks ago.
I downloaded the piano you mention from your site, with the Sax, the Trumpet and the 41mb piano last week. I have yet to find the time to load them in my Motif, but I'll give you some feedback when I do. I can't wait to try that trumpet !

Thanks a lot for your hard work, this is much appreciated.

At last, I'm part of the gang !
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

RJones

I'd be happy if you ported to SVD (or wav) for XV-5080. I just put your SPENDID! in my ES7 and think its great!

Unless chickensys converts it?

lgk