VK-8M - Which Keyboard/Controller best for Split on 2 Midi C

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
traveller0392

VK-8M - Which Keyboard/Controller best for Split on 2 Midi C

Post by traveller0392 »

Hi to all

Would like to know if anyone can recommend a keyboard or Midi Controller that can transmit on 2 Midi channels to enable 'right' and 'left' hands to be played on a Roland VK-8M.

I understand how to set up the module to receive the upper and lower parts but would like to now add a keyboard, ideally 88 keys and that is semi-weighted.

Have looked at a couple of options but will be also adding the Roland PK5 midi pedals at some time.

thanks for any advice

ps. The organ B3 sounds on the module are the best I've heard and can't wait to be gigging .....

Regards

Ian
London
PauloF

Re: VK-8M - Which Keyboard/Controller best for Split on 2 Mi

Post by PauloF »

There are several, but the ones I recommend (I have both) are:

1- EDIROL PCR-800 (61 keys)
2- Cakewalk A-800 Pro (61 Keys)

They both do what you need (transmit on 2 MIDI channels and allow any Splits), but if I was you, I would choose the PCR-800, as although the A-800 Pro is more recent and have the configuration features much more refined and easy to access, the pCR is more flexible when you want to choose ON THE FLY, which SPLITs and Channels to use on each keyboard Part (Lower/Upper), opposed to the A-Pro, where you also can choose freely the channel you want to use on the MAIN area of the Keyboard, being that Upper OR Lower, not in both at the same time like for the PCR. This is the only drawback I found in the A800-Pro, compared to the PCR.

In summary, the PCR is better for live performance !!! but the A-Pro is easier to configure, and has more features and slightly better built.