IS THE SRX-01 ANY GOOD???????????

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
INCOGNEETO

IS THE SRX-01 ANY GOOD???????????

Post by INCOGNEETO »

I DID A SEARCH AND READ THAT THIS BOARD BASICALLY SUX.....I HAVE A FANTOM X-7 AND MAKE HIP HOP.....I WANNA KNOW IF THE SRX-01 IS WORTH GETTING...AND IF ITS NOT....WHICH EXPANSION BOARD HAS THE BEST DRUMS FOR HIP HOP..THANKS IN ADVANCE....INCOG
rbarkhouse

Re: IS THE SRX-01 ANY GOOD???????????

Post by rbarkhouse »

SRX-01 IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem, sorry. SRX-01 is an awesome drum expansion, but I don't think it's what you're looking for. SRX-01 is predominantly (maybe completely, I can't remember) acoustic drums, so it's perfect for rock, latin, jazz, etc. For hip hop you'd probably be better off with the drum kits on SRX-05 (Supreme Dance) or SRX-08 (Platinum Trax).

You can check out interactive demos at RolandUS.com:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/detail ... ageMode=15

(Click the "SRX-Series Interactive Demo" at the bottom of the page)

Rick Barkhouse
halo7

Post by halo7 »

Hi INCOG,

I had the SRX-01 and it didn't do much for Techno, Trance or Big Beat. I agree with Rick the SRX-01 is more of a Rock, Jazz and Studio Expansion Board. The SRX-05 Supreme Dance and the SRX-08 Platinum Trax is your best bet. The SRX-05 is more focused on single sounds rather than loops. The SRX-08 has a little bit of everything like loops, grooves and single sounds. Check out the demos at the Roland Website. I think the SRX-05 would be your best bet for Hip Hop.

Mike
rpieket

Post by rpieket »

"SRX-01 is predominantly (maybe completely, I can't remember) acoustic drums"

Completely.

As it says on the box (and the Roland website):

"The SRX-01 Dynamic Drum Kits wave expansion board is loaded with 64MB-equivalent of the finest acoustic drum sounds ever assembled."

Now I'm not a hip hop guy, but is there any room in the genre for any "out of the box" experimentation? Such as building a track entirely out of acoustic sounds? Hip hop unplugged? Or is that too bizarre to be considered? Just a thought.

-Ron.
Rordog

Post by Rordog »

Any board that has room ambient sound built into the sample automatically gets yanked off my list of "Must Buy" items. I want to create my own room. I want to be able to select bone dry if I want to. Sheesh Roland, this is no way to make up for lack of individual MFX.
The_Czar

Using live drums for hip hop

Post by The_Czar »

That's the next movement. More and more hip hop projects are incorporating live performance style in their music.