Speakers for V-Piano

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
Elby

Speakers for V-Piano

Post by Elby »

I've had a V-Piano for about 6 months now; I love it. I've been playing it through a pair of Mackie HR824 studio monitors. These sound like ... well ... studio monitors! They sound "ok", but not terrific to my ears. I'd like to get a new pair of speakers (or perhaps 4 speakers for 4-way). Can someone recommend something that will help the V-Piano to "shine"?

Thanks much,
Elby
kenchan

Re: Speakers for V-Piano

Post by kenchan »

when i went to a local samash they had a VPiano hooked up to a BlueSky multi-media sound system. the piano actually sounded real good with emphasis in the 2K-3KHz range. the harmonics was near perfect for that room they had it in.

most monitors sound too flat imho for the VPiano for regular playing. the VPiano has this kind of a metallic resonance cold/thin sound in the upper-mid register that a lot of people (including me) dont care too much about. it's basically the core virtual string sound. multimedia monitors have bias in the 1.5K-3.5K region to make overall sound brighter and clearer. this results in the VPiano sounding very colorful in those upper registers harmonizing well with the room acoustics especially when volume is turned up. it's the imprefection in the sound that make the VPiano come a live.

im hoping to get a BlueSky system later on for my (now my wife's) VPiano. :)
Elby

Post by Elby »

That sounds very interesting, Ken. I agree about the flatness of the monitors. I checked out BlueSky - they make a variety of systems, over a very broad price range. Do you have any specifics on the system you heard? Or can you tell me which Sam Ash (we have Sam Ash where I live, I wonder if it might be local??) so I can check with them?

Thanks very much for the recommendation!! Elby
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

hi Elby- the one i saw was the Sky System One (light silver colored woofer). they go around $2.2K for the 2.1 in the USA.
HwyStar

Post by HwyStar »

Hey Ken!

I spoke with the Roland US Rep in San Francisco yesterday and he give me three names that they prefer: Genelec, Meyers, and JBL.

He said that they used the Meyers speakers at the 2009 NAMM. He said they sounded the best in that room for that gig. I don't know the Meyers model numbers.

I mentioned the Genelec 8050a or 8040a and he liked the 8050a speakers better because it had more bottom end to support the VP. He didn't mention the 1032A's.

I notice you are talking about 2.1. Why not 4.1 and use the B output as well? Is it because of money constraints or because of sound?
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

HwyStar wrote:Hey Ken!

I spoke with the Roland US Rep in San Francisco yesterday and he give me three names that they prefer: Genelec, Meyers, and JBL.

He said that they used the Meyers speakers at the 2009 NAMM. He said they sounded the best in that room for that gig. I don't know the Meyers model numbers.

I mentioned the Genelec 8050a or 8040a and he liked the 8050a speakers better because it had more bottom end to support the VP. He didn't mention the 1032A's.

I notice you are talking about 2.1. Why not 4.1 and use the B output as well? Is it because of money constraints or because of sound?
hey sounds good, thanks for the tips. Regarding the 2.1 vs 4.1 or even 5.1 for BlueSky, i was only pointing out the one that i played with at SamAsh was 2.1. i think 4.1 could sound better with more spacious sound!