Should i get a SRX board or a Sample CD for...

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
pirell

Should i get a SRX board or a Sample CD for...

Post by pirell »

...the right sound im looking for. im looking to incorporate more worldy sounding samples/loops in my productions. peoplke are doing the indian thing (in RNB/HH) to death, but there are thousands of other worldly instruments to use.

so im considering getting the Roland SRX ethnic board, ive foudn a good price on ebay, but ive also been advised to get a world sample cd instead, as its 1: cheaper and 2: the SRX boards were made in 1999!!! hence the chipsets used for the board have well aged. (ROLAND, HOW COULD YOU..SOME NEW BOARDS PLEASE!)

so what yu think i should do? the fantom-S doesnt really cop it for me when it comes to the versatily using some of these instruments, or i it me that cant manipulate the patches properly? thanks...any advice pls :-)
shakil

Re: Should i get a SRX board or a Sample CD for...

Post by shakil »

pirell

Before spending money on an SRX board or a sampling CD, search the internet for FREE ethnic sounds. You might get them as sound fonts, or other sampler format. Get the AWave studio Demo (FREE) to convert them to Wav or AIFF.

There are a lot of percussion sounds available. Check out the download section of this site.

The sounds you hear on the latest RNB/HH tracks, use sampled songs. Go to an indian store and get these two CDs.

Bally Sagoo: Loops 1 and Loops 2, or you can buy these from RealPlayer music store for $5 each. These 2 CDs have the 80% of the indian loops you will ever need. Then you can chop them up, and extract one shot samples.

Then get those CD packs of classic collections, and sample them.

IF THESE options are still not enough, then you should definately get the SRX World board. It has a LOT of samples, and if that's not enough, THEN get into Sampling CDs.

To start with, get the 'Spice of India' by East West for RAW unprocessed loops.

Good Luck.

--------------------
Remember that there are only 3 MFX + 1 Reverb + 1 Chorus in Fantom-S/X and you have to share them across 16 parts (patches) in a song.

live a musical life
pirell

Re: Should i get a SRX board or a Sample CD for...

Post by pirell »

thanks shakil, i will look into that, thing is i find the indian loop integration very boring now..its been done to death IMO. so im looking for a broader spectrum of world instruments to add theat ethnic sound where needed.