Buy a new keyboard

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
lorenzo88

Buy a new keyboard

Post by lorenzo88 »

Hi everybody, I'll go straight to the point:

I'm working in Shanghai, and I want to buy a keyboard to keep in my apartment and have some fun.

My budget is around 800 usd, I'd like a backing keyboard with good quality sound and good basis.

Between the Roland GW8 and the BK5, which one is the best one?

Thanks for your help!
Rodan

Re: Buy a new keyboard

Post by Rodan »

Welcome Iorenzo88.

I am not an expert on these two, but I have played the BK3 and can tell you it was a lot of fun. The BK5 is the big brother and should be even more fun to play. The GW8 is similar, but is more like a workstation. That is, it has a 16 track sequencer, so you can record your performances and presumably edit them. So the answer depends upon what you want to do. If you are thinking of playing live, just for yourself or for others, then the Bk5 is a great choice. If you are thinking more of composing pieces and recording the resulting performances, then the GW8 is your keyboard.

I also think the BK series is a newer release. The GW8 sounds are based upon the Fantom (which I have) while the BK sounds seem to come from the more recent Roland models. This does not make one better than the other. It is all a matter of personal taste. Oh, one more thing, the BK3 has variable accompaniment complexity that goes from 1 (simple) to 4 (most complex). This allows you to vary the accompaniment within a song, say chorus different that verse. This is a great feature and allows you to get rather sophisticated in your songs. I don't know if the GW8 does this. If not, that would definitely steer me toward the BK series. Good luck on your choice.