Fantom FA-76 still any good today?

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
simels

Fantom FA-76 still any good today?

Post by simels »

Hello everyone! A new member here. Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I did try to research as much as I can.

I found a used Fantom FA-76 in good condition and wanted to get your thoughts if it's still any good. I've been trying to search online but there are not a lot of information on this keyboard, not as much as the other Fantoms. Its price is about that of a brand new Di from where I'm from.

I know they are totally different animals, about a decade apart. but I'm more interested in which sounds better (piano, strings, etc) since they both have 64MB rom. The Fantom has more keys but half as much polyphony. I've also read a lot of great reviews on the Di. Aside from more keys, the only other Fantom advantage I see is probably the premium look and feel since it was once marketed as a flagship.

So, is the Fantom FA-76 a better decision to choose over the Di?
specialplant

Re: Fantom FA-76 still any good today?

Post by specialplant »

The advantage of the Fantom 76 you didn't mention is that you can use two SRX boards and one SR-JV board. Many of the SRX sounds are of a great quality, far better than the standard sounds of the Fantom and also much better than those of the Juno Gi and Di.
simels

Re: Fantom FA-76 still any good today?

Post by simels »

Thanks for the response. I agree with the expansion slots. But the reason I intentionally left that out is because those cards are not available here in the Philippines. Buying them online and having them shipped would cost me a brand new Di already. :-( That means I will have to stick with the stock sounds. I read somewhere that the engine of the Di is from the FA-76? or is it from the G?