VR-09 Registations can not respond to Midi commands

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
glenncaw

VR-09 Registations can not respond to Midi commands

Post by glenncaw »

Hello. My problem is getting my VR-09 to receive patch change information from a midi controller to call up the Registrations remotely.

I currently use a “Midi Patch Changer” device (controller) that I have programmed to change patches on my Fantom X7 and Juno Gi, with a single entry code that I enter on a simple key pad. These are linked together by midi with the controller. I am now trying to add a VR-09 to this chain.

My issue is that the VR-09 User Manual provides no Bank or PC information for the Registrations, only the basic tones. I have been in contact with Roland Australia, Roland US and even the guys at SweatWater, who sell Roland gear and publish demo videos etc on the internet, have tried to help me out. But the answer is that the Vr-09 Registrations which are really all the User Patches with your splits, layered sounds and edited sounds cannot be controlled by midi using basic Bank and Patch Change information. In my case, I am unable to select a User Registration with a remote Midi Controller? So I have able to add the VR-09 to my automated midi patch change set up but can only use this to change the tones, not the Registrations.

Even more confusing is that according to my reading of the User Manual, the 16 midi channels appear to be preset in “Midi Mode 2” which further restricts midi programming of the VR-09 to receive midi information. My only option seems to be programming in sysex / hex code to achieve this most basic function?

I realise the VR-09 has not been around for very long but I was wondering whether anyone else had been confronted with this issue or had any other ideas how to overcome this problem. Otherwise I think the VR-09 is a great keyboard. In fact I used it in the recording studio a few months back.

Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone is interested, my “Midi Patch Changer” device can be researched on the MusicTechologies website. It’s a great unit that streamlines and speeds up patch changes on multiple keyboards – great for live performance in poor lighting conditions.