Roland JV1010 module. Any good?

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
Iceman777

Roland JV1010 module. Any good?

Post by Iceman777 »

Hello! :)

I would like to ask for your thoughts and opinions about the Roland JV1010 sound module. The local shop (the official representative of Roland in Ukraine) has this sound module on sale. I know that it is very old and may sound outdated to some people, but it is the only device within my budget range. The price is reduced a little bit. I would like to know if it is worth it and if it is any good for the standard bread and butter sounds, as we often call them. I am mostly interested in pianos, but other acoustic instruments are, of course, welcome. It should serve as what Integra module would do, but with a price much less, if you know what I mean.

I looked up most information online from what I could find and it sounds like a nice little box. But I would like to hear your thoughts about it. Thank you!

-- Denis
dave-LIVE

Re: Roland JV1010 module. Any good?

Post by dave-LIVE »

I'm a big fan of the JV-1010! It sounds "good", 64-note polyphony, easy to use. It is the greatest synth module ever? No. But it is extremely functional.
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

Ditto what Dave-LIVE said

- you get a lot of bang for the buck (Hryvnia) (waveforms, instruments) and it sounds pretty damn good.
I had one, and wish I had kept it for it's convenient "travel" size).

I still have a have a XV-5080 fully loaded and a Fantom XR also fully loaded and could still use a JV-1010.
Iceman777

Post by Iceman777 »

Thank you so much for the replies and the kind words! It is so kind of you! Roland JV-1010 sounds like a truly beautiful and compact device. It has one of the most beautiful piano sounds that I have ever encountered for some time and the rest of the sounds from what I could hear through various recordings also have that feel of music I grew up with. I even found out that one of my favourite keyboard players uses it as a primary synth in metal music. I was always wondering how did he (Jens Johansson) came up with such authentic feel and how it sounds so good in a mix with heavy guitars and powerful bass and drums, not to mention the singer. Then I found out, once again by accident, that another keyboard player I really like is the man who wrote ChangeIt software which lets you edit Roland JV-1080, JV1010, JV2080 and many more. A keyboard player from progressive/space rock band called Arilyn. It was a nice shock and I wonder if Jürgen uses one of the modules himself.
What makes me turn to Roland JV1010 is the price (compared to Integra) and knowing that I will get these particular sounds with the ability of in-depth editing which is often not possible or available on ROMplers. I believe that it is not even right to call JV series as just romplers because, from what I could read up, they offer so much more!

Dave, I agree with you - it looks extremely functional and thank you so much for your encouragement! I have to note that 64-note polyphony is much more than what I currently have and I did not have this experience yet! Honestly, I can´t wait to become a happy owner!

@bluesplayer, thank you so much too! It does sound like a good bang for the buck (Hryvnia made me smile!) and I wish I could get my hands on the expansion cards too. What I *might* have a chance to get are World, Hip-Hop, Vocal (13th) and Asia (14th) card. I am wondering which one to get, but probably it will be world card because I like oriental music. These cards still cost so much, one card would be the half of what JV1010 would cost, but people say that they are very good. Did you have any expansions? If you have a chance, could you let me know if you have heard anything about these particular cards?

Thank you so much again for the replies! Take the best care and God bless you!
Iceman777

Post by Iceman777 »

Here is the link to the video that got me inspired: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7JLtehNNmk

The piano sound here is what touches me deeply, almost calling up the tears in my eyes. I realize that it is also the music and the amazing person that plays it, but still there is the tone and the sound that is so powerful. The rest of the sounds are strikingly beautiful too!
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

Which SR-JV card is hard to give advice on. It depends on what kind/style of music you want to produce routinely . You don't really want to be constantly swapping out the SR-JV cards. You could - but I would not advise it as a matter of routine.

But given cards you listed and your preference for "Asian" sounds the World card would round out your JV-1010 nicely , better I think than the Asian only card.

With the basic full JV-1080/2080 sound set built in and the Session which very good because it gives you a lot of usable "bread and butter" sounds for "standard" music (jazz, rock, pop, country,) and the World card you could cover a lot of musical territory, except maybe straight up classical/symphonic.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the JV-1010!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Iceman777 wrote:Here is the link to the video that got me inspired: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7JLtehNNmk

The piano sound here is what touches me deeply, almost calling up the tears in my eyes. I realize that it is also the music and the amazing person that plays it, but still there is the tone and the sound that is so powerful. The rest of the sounds are strikingly beautiful too!
Hi iceman777,
I hope you're ok :-)

Did you get the JV-1010 at all?

All the best!
Paulo