XV-5050 Sysex messages

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
Kingell

XV-5050 Sysex messages

Post by Kingell »

Hello everyone.

My first communication here.

I bought this XV-5050 and it arrived on Tuesday.

Since ordering I have joined various communities/forums and also downloaded reams of literature.
I know what I'm doing with synths but this is my first Roland experience with a rack synth which is very good. I've used the 303s etc in years gone by.

I run a "Pocket Big Band" where three of us provide the sound of a full orchestra or a big band etc. using rack equipment and sound fonts.
http://www.mikelockey.com/music.html
Now I have added this machine to my arsenal.

So after the long preamble (sorry) - I'm not getting to grips with the system exclusive messages which I send from my controlling Miditemp Multiplayer. Presently, for testing, I'm using a PC and sequencer which works fine with all my other gear.

I've set my XV reception channel to 1 and I'm transmitting commands on channel 1 from my sequencer.

There is no reference I can find in the XV-5050 hand book which tells me this but I've already discovered from other Roland manuals that by sending:
MSB 85, LSB 0 and Program number 59 I can select user performance US:059.
However I can only access the first User group 1 - 64.
Changing the LSB seems to make no difference although, apparently, it does in other machines.
Question 1: How do I access the other performance banks: Preset A and Preset B?
***************************************************************************************************************
So at the start I obviously need to send a similar message before I start altering anything else.
I've got the Fantom USB driver communicating in my Windows 7 64bit and I can show the editor on the PC monitor. I can send 16 channels of music note DATA which play fine and I can choose voices from the front panel and store them for later use.
MSB 87 and LSB 0 let me select user patches 1 - 128: LSB 64 lets me select A patches etc....
but.....
they do not appear in the XV Editor Perform Part Survey.
I've tried XV-5050 and midi in all combinations.
Question 2: Which settings should I use in setup in the editor? Should the Perform Part Survey update when I send a patch change via MIDI from my sequencer?
**********************************************************************************************************************
I know about CCs - many of them are the same as Yamaha's e.g. 7 for volume.
Question 3: How do I know - apart from using my ears - that the volume has been altered?
***********************************************************************************************************************
And finally I read that 2 ticks are necessary between commands.
Question 4: Has anyone found this is too short?
*************************************************************************************************************************

Thanks for any replies.
Kind regards
Kingell

Re: XV-5050 Sysex messages

Post by Kingell »

Hi
Solved question 1.
LSB 64 gives Performance A
LSB 65 gives performance B

Question 3 solved by using ears and storing performance details.

Question 4: I don't seem to have problems with 5 ticks separation.

Only leaves question 2. Any offers please?
Anyone know a different editor - preferably free or cheap?

Regards