In praise of the SC-155

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
grahamid

In praise of the SC-155

Post by grahamid »

If this would be better posted in another sub-forum, I'd be grateful for guidance.
For some years, I used the software 'version' of Sound Canvas in Band in a Box, and recently I had the chance to acquire actual hardware, which I did, perhaps mainly out of curiosity.
I have to say that in fact I find this 30-year-old technology pretty impressive. The sounds, OK, lack the subtlety of more recent voicings, but given the range of controls onboard, useful composite sounds can be achieved.
But even more I'm impressed with the range of things that can be done by button-presses and use of the controls, without needing the involvement of a computer. The SC-155 would make a formidable controller of a second sound module, (eg the Ketron SD2, which has good sounds but is bare of any onboard controls) if all that control can be exported via Midi Out.
And there's the rub. I am used (ie with more recent equipment) to Midi Out being an open channel - all you need to do is connect it. With my SC-155, I'm not getting anything, though the Thro is working perfectly.
It's possible, of course, that this is a physical fault in a specific circuit in my device. Or does the Midi-Out actually need to be 'armed' or enabled in some way ?
Any insights gratefully received.
Sincerely
Ian Graham
Wales UK