The Chill Out Room...etc.

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
Phil B

The Chill Out Room...etc.

Post by Phil B »

So, I was about to purchase the Chill Out Room CD and (why not, they were already charging about 10 bucks for shipping) on another CD too (Intravenus Audio Virus) from soundsonline, but I couldn't get the site to accept my order.

Oh well, that's not really why I'm posting.

While I always think about getting some sample CDs, this will be my first purchase. For some reason, I just feel like I'm cheating if I use them. Like I'm not really "making" music. I guess maybe it all depends on your perspective and background. For example, if you come from more of a hip-hop background and grew up with sampling, then you'd feel a lot more at home using samples and loops as part of the creative process. I was more brought up on live performance and composition via notes to paper, so it definitely does not feel natural to me (I also grew up pissed off whenever someone had a hit song primarily based on a sample of another song I loved, especially when nobody else seemed to realize it).

Anyway, since a lot of you seem to use sample CDs in your arsenal, I was hoping you could relay to me how you use them. I understand the concept of using drum loops, but I'd like to know how you all introduce non-repetitive subtleties into your rhythm tracks. And how do you incorporate non-drum loops like the Chill Out Room provides? And ... anything else you care to add.

Thanks
Red Winger

Re: The Chill Out Room...etc.

Post by Red Winger »

Hey Phil,

Well, I'm relatively new to sample CDs myself. Just from memory, MK, Artemio and Phunkeyz all have much more experience (as do others, I'm sure). However, what I've been doing with them (other than drum loops) is to take a few sounds that I like, mangle them in Sound Forge and/or Acid, and then layer them in as background efx/pads, etc. My view on the musicality of this is that it's been done for years in Rock (think about just about any Pink Floyd album for example), even apart from hip-hop, dance, trance, etc. Some of the sounds I could probably program myself but it's just as easy to get them from the Sample CDs. In fact, sometimes I get inspired to go in new directions by the sounds I've been hearing of the CDs. Also, while you can definitely produce a truly musical (and original) work by doing nothing other than combining various samples from CDs in cool new ways (and more power to you, I say, if that's what you're doing), that's not what I've really been doing. Instead, I've been using them to add color to the stuff I've already put together on my own, either through Fantom-S, other soft synths, etc.

I expect that I will continue to operate in much this way as I expand my setup.

Cheers,
RW
MK

Post by MK »

Do not feel guilt over the use of samples. They are very important in the production of popular music. Nearly every popular song has them. I do not come from a Hip Hop background, but I can tell you what has been going on in that world. You might be surprised to read that Hip Hop producers are lifting phrases right out of old records with a turntable connected to their sampler. They modify the sample a bit to make the phrase different and then integrate the numerous samples into a song. Hip Hop artists have become multimillionaires doing this, so why feel guilt over using samples in your own music? And read the names on some of these sample CDs...Mick Fleetwood...BT... They created the discs being sold to people like yourself.

I love sampling and all the activities that go with it. To really be into sampling you have to collect at least a few disks per month. Ideally, you should collect as many as possible and use them in all kinds of ways. You do not need expensive Akai format CDs. WAV and Audio formats work just fine. In fact, those are the formats commonly used with Akai MPC's! Drop a WAV CD into your computer connected to the Fantom-S USB cable. For Audio files connect your home CD or DVD player to the Fantom-S and sample the tracks as you play them.

You can use a sample any way you want. For instance, suppose there is a track or part of a track on The Chill Out Room that you like. You could take that whole track and put it into a track in your sequence. Or maybe you want a portion of it. Grab a few seconds before and after that portion and then use a sampler or editing program to fade the beginning and ending to avoid any abrupt starts or completions. Then put that into your sequenced track.

There are numerous possibilities. You must experiment to develop a new skill. In the early stages you should focus on using some samples in your music and beginning your collection of sample discs. Do not spend a lot of money on these discs at this point unless you find one that you like a lot. Use the discs included with monthly magazines and order others from either eBay or the bargain web page area of popular sample CD vendors. You do not have to use many or all the tracks on any of these CDs. At this stage you are learning the concepts and mechanics of sampling.

As you develop skill you can collect expensive CDs and/or connect a turntable and sample old vinyl. I am currently making plans for the day when my sample CD collection will have 500 or more discs in it. Indeed this requires planning because one needs shelf space and a way to recall what is on the CDs.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Thanks guys - this sounds like fun. The few times I've plugged some loops into a sequence, it always gets my juices going a little bit. In a way, it's sort of like playing with a band by yourself. I'm going to get those 2 discs I think to start. have you guys heard of that one called "Intravenus Audio Virus"? I thought it sounded pretty nice from the short demo, but I guess you never really know until you have it.
Phait

Post by Phait »

I'm not a fan of using other's work in my work. It's just how I am. As a web designer, I don't use other's photos for photo manipulation. I'd rather use my own. Then again, I don't really do photo manipulation.. so, I can see where you're coming from.

If I had any sample CD's they would be otherwise unattainable samples - pretty much just drums or a specific instrument.

I'd have much more fun/pride sampling my own sounds/effects (not instruments) for manipulation though.
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

A Sample CD is a tool..........at this point, none of this technology can substitute for our creativity and passion. At every juncture in time, musicians have used the tools at hand, while reaching for new things. It has only been less than 400 hundred years since the only real sounds that were common to most people were church bells and hoof beats. Imagine the first time a European peasant heard a 50 piece ensemble. It must have been amazing!

Try everything..............discount nothing................follow your muse