FANTOM FA76 Sonar/Cakewalk INS File

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
kinglazer

Post by kinglazer »

Hello there,

I have bought a used Fantom FA76 which I think is a superb piece of kit. The sounds are amazing and very real. I must say that Roland is definitely known for its sounds.

But there is something I need from the users of FA76. Is there anyone who uses Sonar or Cakewalk? I am looking for the INS (Instrument Definition) file for FA76. I have tried my best on the net with no luck. I wrote to Roland.co.uk but no reply. Is there anyone who has this precious INS file? Please help me to bring myself out of this misery!!!!!!!

Kind Regards,

Kinglazer
thunderkyss

Re: FANTOM FA76 Sonar/Cakewalk INS File

Post by thunderkyss »

I could have sworn there was a guy out there somewhere with a Website for the FA76. You can look at the Fantomized.info homepage, but I don't think you'll find it there, since Artemio doesn't consider it a real Fantom, I don't think he has anything for it on this site.

FantomS
AW4416
Now all I need is talent.
Anyone selling any talent??
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
kinglazer

Post by kinglazer »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have to say that if the owner does not consider Fantom FA76 as a genuine Fantom then he or Roland must consider changing the name of FA76. Definitely roland can't make any changes to FA76.

I am really disappointed to see that there is not a single site dedicated to Fantom FA76. Was this a Limited Edition? :)))))

Regards,
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

It is an excellent synth, and the starting point for the Fantom-S & Fantom-X. Just never got much respect.
It was the first workstation built on Roland's XV engine. The current FantomX, The Fantom XR, and FantomS still use this same engine.
However it appears Roland saw it as a replacement for the XP line of workstations and more or less built it around those specs. The biggest defieciencies compared to the Triton(the Leader at the time) was its 64voice limit, and lack of sampling.
Compared to the XP workstations, it wasn't as easy to get around, and many of the controller features(buttons, sliders) were missing. I personally think as far as workstations go, the FA-76 is all you need. All I need anyway. The Fantom-S added sampling, which I thought I would use, but don't, Trigger Pads, a button that changes the parameters changed by the four knobs, and two user assigneable switches(which I haven't set up yet). All of which I like to have, but I could live without.
The Soundset for the Fantom-S & X are completely different from the FA-76, which uses sounds from the XV5080, and some created especially for it(dance oriented).

There are a couple of people on this board that are still users of the FA-76, and they are very happy with it. Be honest with yourself, about what you really "need" and decide weather the Fantom fills that need or not.
In fairness to Artemio, he didn't write the .ins file for Cakewalk, or any of the definitions for any of the other Sequencers, he's just hosting them. I've tried, and haven't been able to find one for it, so it may not exist.

FantomS
AW4416
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
kinglazer

Post by kinglazer »

Yes, you are right about the sampling feature which is not in FA76 but as far as I know Triton is also 64 voices. So how is this a -ve point for FA? FA is also 64 voices.

I have had Korg Triton Le which I think has got decent sound but not as good as Fantom, only if we compare similar patches e.g. acoustic guitar, electric guitar etc. It may be because of my personal preference. But I particularly love Roland's pianos and strings sounds.

I have also had Ensoniq TS10 and Korg O1W/FD and these are early 90s' synths so I will not bring these into comparison with Fantom. But both of these were the top range synths of the early 90s'.

Regards,
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

If I'm not mistaken, the Triton that came out in 2000(studio) had a base of 62 voices, plus 20 or something for the piano, then you could add an expansion board, that also upped the poly.

Triton Le, that's another good synth, but I'd never compare triton sounds to Roland sounds, no contest, Roland wins IMHO. I was thinking Roland should do something like that for the Budget conscious amoung us(me), but the Xa trumps that idea.

All props to the FA-76, I like it, and wanted one in a bad way. But by the time they were priced on the used market into what I was willing to spend on a workstation, the Fantom-S was also in my range, so I went that way.

FantomS
AW4416
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
Mexico

Post by Mexico »

I bought my FA76 for $1385 US on eBay in January of 2003. The Fantom S had just come out, but I had been looking at the FA76 for a while, and disliked the fact that the Fantom S had no 76-key version. I have been extremely happy with it.

I purchased my Fantom X6 in May of 2004, and both keyboards complement each other great. I use both with Sonar, but I have no INS for the FA76. If somebody comes across one, make sure to post it here! =)

Mexico

"Expect the best and make it happen."
kinglazer

PIAKNOW has found FA76 INS File

Post by kinglazer »

Hello everyone,

I am very happy today because there is only one person in this whole world who managed to get an INS file of FA76.

PIAKNOW.............is the man.

This is his website where you will be able to download the FA76 INS:
http://www.piaknow.com/cakewalkinstdefs.htm

Great work PIAKNOW....................

There are a lot of people who will recognise your value to this forum.

Kind Regards,
Mexico

Post by Mexico »

Awesome news! =)

M

"Expect the best and make it happen."
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

Glad it worked out for the both of you. Great work KingGlaze.

No hopefully, Artemio will get it, and make it available from this site.

FantomS
AW4416
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
NeoGeo

RE: Fantom FA76 Cakewalk INS file

Post by NeoGeo »

Hi,

I am also one of these guys who purchased a Roland Fantom Fa76 model. I bought mine 2nd hand and I am using Cakewalk sequencer but also need the INS file. I stumble this great web site and this thread in particular and it seems someone has paved the way for the quest for the Cakewalk INS file for the first-model Fantom.

I tried the website as you mentioned:

http://forum.fantomized.info/index.php? ... d=6&page=1

but I cannot access any links except the home page; it seems the server is either down or not responding. therefore do you have the INS file I can get off you; you probably downloaded it while the website is still up.

This will save me the hassle of creating my own INS file (and trying to figure out the MSB and LSB values of the bank change).

NEO
kinglazer

Fantom FA76 INS File

Post by kinglazer »

Hello NEO,

Sorry for the delay!!!! Let me know your email address and I will send you the INS Files.

Regards,

Kinglazer
mikepaulmusic

Post by mikepaulmusic »

Links on here are no longer valid. Anyone still have an INF for the Fantom FA76