Sampling on the JUNO DS

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
formercakid

Sampling on the JUNO DS

Post by formercakid »

Anybody know how to map a sample wav across the entire keyboard? I am only able to get it to map 1 octave. For the rest of the keyboard the sample does not move up the scale it just sounds the same.
joelfan

Re: Sampling on the JUNO DS

Post by joelfan »

You're right.
By the way, this is not documented in the manual.
Blueswaite

Post by Blueswaite »

I was hoping you could do this. I thought you could put a sample on all keys.
Thanks
arc711

Post by arc711 »

Any suggestions on where to find the best wav samples to easily load into the DS? Preferably E Piano sounds and also any good free sample sites? Thanks
tomo

Post by tomo »

I'm a former Fantom X user and my biggest and perhaps the only complain about Juno DS is lack of multisampling support.

However, I haven't experienced the issue mentioned here myself. When I load a sample with set original key, Juno DS maps it across the whole keyboard chromatically. But as soon you step out the range of two octaves, artifacts in the form of sample playing too slow or fast are introduced, especially with sustained sounds. This is natural for this method of sample stretching, but it also significantly limits the sampling feature usage on Juno DS.

I'm hoping that Roland will add the ability to load a set of samples into Juno DS through a future firmware update. I'm using this keyboard only for live work and while it's sound library + expansions cover 98% of my live performance needs, I still need a few custom sampled sounds here and there.
nelsonp

Post by nelsonp »

To close the loop for those like me that got to this page searching through Google, software update 2.0 for the Juno DS adds multisample support. With the aid of the Juno DS Tone Manager application connected via USB multisamples can be created, which then can be used to create patches (multisamples themselves are not patches). Note that you must first upload the samples to the keyboard via USB drive through the Sample Import function. I hope this helps.
tomo

Post by tomo »

Hi nelsonp and thanks for your concern!

I had eagerly followed the situation with Juno DS 2.0 firmware since before it was officially announced by Roland, so I have upgraded my keyboard the very first day the update came out. Now I can say that Juno DS is even better workstation for live performances than Fantom X was, at least in my book. The new software editor is also fantastic and it makes programming of sounds and setups much more elegant and convenient.