I'm a beginner, need help!

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
BAnderson

I'm a beginner, need help!

Post by BAnderson »

Can anyone tell me if I can add a delay to a patch and then save it? I've been in where the chorus and reverb are, but I can't find any delay anywhere.

Thanks for any help, and sorry about the elementary question.
AaronPDX1

Re: I'm a beginner, need help!

Post by AaronPDX1 »

As explained in manual (and it wasn't obvious to me either), p 4, the MFX (multi-effects) provides 80 types of effect (including delay), and is independent of the chorus/reverb unit. Although, 'Chorus can also be used as a delay.'

There are many ways up the (effects) mountain, it seems.
galvoguy

Post by galvoguy »

Hi AronPDX1!

I also am a beginner with the Juno DS...and have been confused by the FX and MFX of the keyboard...and it only got worse by using the computer tool, Juno DS Tone-Manager.

Hopefully I can help. After sorting through several manuals, I was able to piece together the answer that I needed to apply FX and MFX to Performances. I read the posts, and think that this is a black spot in the documentation of both the keyboard and the software tool.

Here is the link to my short, but effective explanation of how the MFX work, and the way do interpret the software tool.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L-1 ... sp=sharing

Hopefully this digs you, and many others, out of the initial harnessing of the MFX mysteries.
Wackienne

Post by Wackienne »

galvoguy wrote: 06:00, 19 June 2021 Hi AronPDX1!

I also am a beginner with the Juno DS...and have been confused by the FX and MFX of the keyboard...and it only got worse by using the computer tool, Juno DS Tone-Manager.

Hopefully I can help. After sorting through several manuals, I was able to piece together the answer that I needed to apply FX and MFX to Performances. I read the posts, and think that this is a black spot in the documentation of both the keyboard and the software tool.

Here is the link to my short, but effective explanation of how the MFX work, and the way do interpret the software tool.

Hopefully this digs you, and many others, out of the initial harnessing of the MFX mysteries.
Wow! Thanks for putting that together.
vespina

Post by vespina »

galvoguy wrote: 06:00, 19 June 2021 Hi AronPDX1!

Nice document!! I may just add the following (as I understand it now; please correct me if I am wrong):

a) FX and MFX are the same: just an effect. In the manual, the term FX is used when applied to a patch and MFX is used when applied to a performance.

b) A patch may contain a FX assigned to it or it may be configured as "pass-thru" which basically means that the patch does not use a FX.

c) A performance can have up to 3 FX (MFX) and those FX are automatically configured while you start adding parts to the performance, until no more MFX are available. For example, if you start a new performance and set path S08 80'S FM as PART 1 (this path uses FX HEXA-CHORUS), then MFX1 is automatically configured to HEXA-CHORUS. If you then choose S11 SUPER WURLY as PART 2, then MFX2 is automatically configured to SPEAKER SIMULATOR, because that's the FX configured on that patch.

d) When you select an initialized performance, the MFX structure setting is setted to TYPE 01, which means that each of the 3 MFX are independent, but only MFX1 & 2 are assigned to the first two parts; MFX3 is assigned to the PERFORMANCE. This is important because, following the previous example, if you now add patch S09 PLAYER'S EP (wich uses ENH-CHORUS FX), because MFX3 is set to PERFORMANCE, then this patch won't sound as supposed to. To fix it, you will need to go the the performance's effects and assign MFX3 to PART 3.

e) This has some practical implications:
* You can not have a performance with more than 3 parts that requires a particular FX.
* If you want to reserve a FX for your performance, then you can use up to 2 FX-based patchs.
* Performances has its own REVERB and CHORUS setting, and you can redirect any part to these effects as long as they are assigned to L+R (or L or R).
* You have to pay attention to the MFX structure you need for your particular performance.
* If you assign a patch to a performance's part that requires an specific FX and then you go to the performance's Effects Edit page and change the FX assigned to the MFX associated with that part, or change any of the FX parameters, you will need to save that patch as an user patch, because those values are note saved as part of the performance's info.

Hope this helps you to a better understanding of how to use FX on the Juno DS.