JUNO DS vs. FA 06

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards

JUNO DS vs. FA 06

Postby Jishan » 01:19, 21 May 2016

Hello everyone. I am new here.
I am totally new to this forums and in comparison to the experts here, new to music as well.
I am a student with limited budget and I love music. I am no expert in synths, creating patches, filters etc., but as a hobbyist, I want to learn now.
I have played the piano for 8 years, but seldom a synthesizer.
I mostly play Indian classical and fusion, but that should not affect the question I am going to ask.
I want the best in terms of sound quality and the number of patcher (the different instruments that can be simulated that is what I mean) and I don't care if it has Indian instruments or not.

I am looking for:

Sounds
I am looking for a nice set of Piano, Excellent strings and Atmospheric Pads and Synths.
Player Spec
I am an one man army. I play solo on stage and for my self satisfaction. :)
Usage
I will use a computer to arrange and modify my music, but a self sufficient keyboard will suit me the most.
Sound Modification
I would love a large amount of nice presents than sound modification, however, I crave for some sound modification. A ideal mix of both will be acceptable.

I am confused between Juno DS and FA-06. One reason of it is perhaps I really don't know what I am looking for, to me, the maximum number of different instruments a keyboard can simulate is the only grading point (because of my 0 knowledge about synths). If I buy FA06, I will be severely limited in budget for buying monitors, pedals etc.

Which one should I choose and why?
Thanks.

Sorry for my bad English, I am a non-native speaker.
Jishan

Re: JUNO DS vs. FA 06

Postby joelfan » 10:59, 23 May 2016

First, if you like playing piano, do not buy FA-06 or JunoDS61. Their keyboard is very distant from piano keyboard. You should go to JunoDs88 or Fa-08.
Secondly, for sounds the FA series is richer. For Piano, Excellent strings and Atmospheric Pads and Synths, both FA and DS are great, with some more points with FA which has also "supernaural" sounds.
Thirdly, you can edit bot synths.

Final question from you Which one should I choose and why?
My answer: you should go and listen to the sound. The one you like better, you choose. Trust only your ears. For me, as an example, I prefer Fantom-x/JUNODS piano sound, rather than supernatural ones. It's a matter of taste.
joelfan

Postby Jishan » 14:06, 23 May 2016

joelfan wrote:First, if you like playing piano, do not buy FA-06 or JunoDS61. Their keyboard is very distant from piano keyboard. You should go to JunoDs88 or Fa-08.
Secondly, for sounds the FA series is richer. For Piano, Excellent strings and Atmospheric Pads and Synths, both FA and DS are great, with some more points with FA which has also "supernaural" sounds.

My answer: you should go and listen to the sound. The one you like better, you choose. Trust only your ears. For me, as an example, I prefer Fantom-x/JUNODS piano sound, rather than supernatural ones. It's a matter of taste.

thank you for the reply. I plan to go and listen soon.
Jishan

Postby PauloF » 14:25, 8 June 2016

Jishan wrote:
joelfan wrote:First, if you like playing piano, do not buy FA-06 or JunoDS61. Their keyboard is very distant from piano keyboard. You should go to JunoDs88 or Fa-08.

thank you for the reply. I plan to go and listen soon.

Welcome to the Clan!

Fully agree with Joelfan in almost all except on the fact that, for me, the Supernatural Acoustic pianos and Guitars are unbeatable when compared with the PCM sounds from the "old league", but that is only my opinion...

But the bottom line here is==> Listen to both and decide based on your listening!

Take care
PauloF

Postby joelfan » 10:21, 12 October 2017

Do not forget that FA serie does not include FantomX/G sounds.
The Roland FA include only Supernatural Acoustic, Supernatural Synth, Drums and PCM, but PCM are JV/XV sounds, not Fantom!
joelfan

Return to Juno-DS / XPS-30