Hold vs Control pedal

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
jpmichaels

Hold vs Control pedal

Post by jpmichaels »

More noob -
If I just want to use a pedal for sustain - mostly on piano sounds - which pedal input do I use, and how do I configure it?
Should I be able to use "any" sustain pedal?
For a performance that's a bass/piano split, how do I assign the sustain to just the piano?

I've looked through the manual and checked tutorials, and haven't found anything on this.

Thanks
Silken Path

Re: Hold vs Control pedal

Post by Silken Path »

Well, I can answer the first part. Damper pedal in Hold, and defaults it will work. Expression pedal in Control, and defaults it will work. Note that's a stereo-style 1/4 plug for control for expression. To change any defaults, Menu -> Settings -> Pedals. I found that my Boss pedal (low impedance model) works with the default, as does my Roland damper pedal. You can select Continuous or off. I like continuous because I can be sloppy at hitting it and it interprets any change as a press or release. Note that setting is the one on the pedal, not the Juno.

I keep a copy of the default piano without damper transmitted on my RD300nx, which it can turn off per MIDI channel, but I've never looked at refusing to receive it on the Juno. (I tend to play the Juno from my RD except when I want it to go portable. I love my Juno 61.)
anotherscott

Re: Hold vs Control pedal

Post by anotherscott »

jpmichaels wrote:More noob -
If I just want to use a pedal for sustain - mostly on piano sounds - which pedal input do I use, and how do I configure it?
Should I be able to use "any" sustain pedal?
For a performance that's a bass/piano split, how do I assign the sustain to just the piano?

I've looked through the manual and checked tutorials, and haven't found anything on this.
They call the sustain pedal the hold pedal, so the info is on pages 3 and 16 of the manual. If you're using the typical on-off sustain pedal, you can use any such pedal... Roland and Yamaha are wired the same way, but if you have one wired the other way (opposite polarity), you can change a setting on the Roland to accomodate, see page 33 of the parameter guide. (Also, some pedals have switches.) If you want to have continous/half pedaling (as opposed to just on/off), then you should specifically get a Roland model (i.e. DP-10), make sure its switch is set appropriately, and change the Juno DS setting accordingly as well. (also on p. 33 of the parameter guide)

In a split/layer performance, you can control which sounds are affected by the sustain pedal, and I agree, it's not obvious! Hold is seen as a MIDI function. By default, each part of a performance is assigned a consecutive MIDI channel number, so in a two part split, one sound is on MIDI channel 1 and the other is on MIDI channel 2. So for example, to turn off operation of the sustain (hold) pedal on sound #2, you would edit the Hold (HD) parameter for channel 2 in the MIDI section of the edit menus (shown on p.20 of the parameter guide). For a step-by-step on this one, see https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 60&t=54054