Juno Ds 61 and ipad.

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Rolandgr

Juno Ds 61 and ipad.

Post by Rolandgr »

Hello,
Can I use a Roland Juno DS 61 as a master controller for instruments in ipad pro and in windows?
Does it work or there are limitations?
Thank you
anotherscott

Re: Juno Ds 61 and ipad.

Post by anotherscott »

It works, and everything has limitations. ;-) What is it you want it to do?

Example: The new 2.0 update allows the DS61 to send MIDI Program Changes from its 100 Favorites, which is a nice enhancement to its MIDI controller capabilities. But it's still only one Program Change per Favorite (as opposed to being able to send multiple Program Changes on different channels simultaneously, a feature that was added to the FA with its 2.0 update).
Rolandgr

Post by Rolandgr »

Thank you.
I want to be able to control vst instruments with my DS61. I believe in windows it is possible. In ipad when it is connected via usb it is not...the Roland can't be used as a master keyboard. I have not tried it via the midi out with some kind of adapter yet.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Rolandgr wrote:I want to be able to control vst instruments with my DS61. I believe in windows it is possible. In ipad when it is connected via usb it is not...the Roland can't be used as a master keyboard. I have not tried it via the midi out with some kind of adapter yet.
Yes, it does work with iPad vis USB. The issue is that, by default, the DS is set up to use Roland's custom drivers for additional functionality, and there's no way to load custom drivers on to an iPad, so you have to put the Roland into its USB MIDI "class compliant" mode for it to work with the iPad over USB. Select
Menu-->System-->MIDI-->USB Driver
and change to "Generic."
Things like just playing notes will work right away. But if you want to go further, you can ht the front panel DAW control. If you go to the User option, you can define what the 8 pads, 4 knobs, and 4 sliders should do (what MIDI they should send).

Though you should also be able to use the regular MIDI jack on the DS instead of USB (with appropriate interface/adapter, as you said), which would not require you to change the driver setting in the DS.
luckyluca

Post by luckyluca »

anotherscott wrote:
Rolandgr wrote:I want to be able to control vst instruments with my DS61. I believe in windows it is possible. In ipad when it is connected via usb it is not...the Roland can't be used as a master keyboard. I have not tried it via the midi out with some kind of adapter yet.
Yes, it does work with iPad vis USB. The issue is that, by default, the DS is set up to use Roland's custom drivers for additional functionality, and there's no way to load custom drivers on to an iPad, so you have to put the Roland into its USB MIDI "class compliant" mode for it to work with the iPad over USB. Select
Menu-->System-->MIDI-->USB Driver
and change to "Generic."
Things like just playing notes will work right away. But if you want to go further, you can ht the front panel DAW control. If you go to the User option, you can define what the 8 pads, 4 knobs, and 4 sliders should do (what MIDI they should send).

Though you should also be able to use the regular MIDI jack on the DS instead of USB (with appropriate interface/adapter, as you said), which would not require you to change the driver setting in the DS.
that's an interesting read, am i right to assume that it is impossible to get audio to ipads/android devices using usb and daw apps?
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

luckyluca wrote:that's an interesting read, am i right to assume that it is impossible to get audio to ipads/android devices using usb and daw apps?
Standard MIDI protocols handle only MIDI data, not audio. But iOS devices do support audio in and audio out over the same (lightning) connectors that they use for MIDI, and it looks like it is possible to design a keyboard that can simultaneously communicate MIDI and audio between itself and an iOS device via that connection, because from what I've read, Yamaha does that with the MOXF (at least), without any installation of a custom driver on the iOS side (which Apple does not support).

The Roland DS does not appear to have that ability, though, based on the two support articles linked below. One explains how to connect the DS to a Mac/PC for MIDI and audio, while the other tells you how to connect to an IOS device for MIDI only, with any mention of audio conspicuously absent. So I'm assuming the Roland can't do audio between DS and iOS over is USB connection. However, the Yamaha functionality was added in an OS update, so it may not be impossible that Roland could add this functionality via an OS update as well. Though even if it is possible, there's certainly no assurance that it will happen.

https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowl ... 207935966/

https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowl ... 208221823/
luckyluca

Post by luckyluca »

Thanks Anotherscott for taking the time to reply to all my posts, it's much appreciated.
I've temporarily cancelled my order and decided to take a bit of time to digest all of this before committing to a new instrument. I'll attempt again in the fall.
Vladislav.iz

Post by Vladislav.iz »

Hello! After reading all the messages above on this topic, I concluded that Roland Juno-DS v2.11 is not supported as an Audio Interface on iOS-iPad, iPhone, which upset me a lot. Question: Does Roland intend to release a new OS version for Roland Juno-DS with Audio Interface support, as it is very important for many users of this model. Can I get information to contact the OS developers?