Zones on midi channel 1?

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Rovito

Zones on midi channel 1?

Post by Rovito »

I am trying to recreate performances I have on other keyboards with the DS performance section. It seems that in order to split zones you need to use a different midi channel for each zone. The problem is that I use a slab piano as a controller and it only transmits on one channel at a time. When I try to use the "range low" or "range up" its all or nothing. They all play or nothing plays depending on the settings. An example is I use a piano sound across the whole board and an organ sound mixed with the piano on the upper half. I need this all to be done one midi channel 1 to be played on the controller piano slab. Other sounds would be set up on the DS keybed at the same time for other parts of the song. My Roland Fantom x6 and my XR will do this by adjusting the lower and higher range like every other keyboard I have ever had. Is there a way to get around this limitation?
Rovito

Re: Zones on midi channel 1?

Post by Rovito »

A reply from Roland in less than 24 hours.

Roland Pro
Roland Product Support (Roland Corporation)
Apr 11, 11:34 AM

Hello,

You can certainly set several parts of a Performance to the same MIDI channel so they can be triggered by a MIDI controller that has a single channel only, but you are correct in that the Performance KBD / keyboard range settings do not affect the incoming MIDI signal (they only affect the keyboard of the Juno-DS88 itself).

You can edit each Patch and change the Key Range settings under the PATCH EDIT / TMT tab, and this will then set up that patch to only play for a specific range of notes (either from the Juno-DS keyboard, or from an external MIDI controller. This would be what we would recommend for your setup.

Best Regards,

Product Support
Roland Corp. U.S.