Juno DS-88

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Blueswaite

Juno DS-88

Post by Blueswaite »

Picked this up this afternoon. Extremely disappointed with its sounds. Hard to believe this is a giging keyboard.
I know sound is subjective but I would think for the price you would get really decent sounds.
Pianos sound real midrange and tiny even after adjusting eq.
I am getting decent sounds from organs and roads also strings
Can samples be loaded in to get higher quality piano sound

Some times it is hard to understand. I had a older Fantom S that sounded better
Is there something I am missing. Drums even seem to have mid ranging sound
Going thru good studio monitors Guess I could take it back and get the Korg Kross88

Not trying to conflict with anyone who likes the board but I like the idea of the pattern sequencer
and 88 keys but brass and a lot of the sounds have that mid range and tinny press if I am explaining it right

Going to try parametric eq I have see if I can get it better.

Again nothing against Thor who like it
Blueswaite

Re: Juno DS-88

Post by Blueswaite »

Well I took it back and got a used YAMAHA M08 and what a difference. May be I like Yamaha sounds better.
But rally liking the Mo8.
Would have liked to have gotten Fantom X8 but at 65 lbs. out of the question.
Thanks
klar_kinelis

Re: Juno DS-88

Post by klar_kinelis »

Blueswaite wrote:Picked this up this afternoon. Extremely disappointed with its sounds. Hard to believe this is a giging keyboard.
I know sound is subjective but I would think for the price you would get really decent sounds.
Pianos sound real midrange and tiny even after adjusting eq.
I am getting decent sounds from organs and roads also strings
Can samples be loaded in to get higher quality piano sound
The piano, strings, organs, the "natural" sound system/type of Juno DS is great for recording, but indeed for live playing it lacks some sort of deeper echno (samples are short?). On the other hand it is not a piano or organs :)
However the synth and pad sounds are super fantastic for all kind of purposes.

Blueswaite, did you try the Axial expansions? http://axial.roland.com/category/juno-ds61_juno-ds88/ The Piano & Concert Piano collections will really improve the sounds of pianos... but Juno DS is still not a piano :) and you can hear it.