Update DS61. DS88 to latest version 1.06

Post by o carl »

Have anyone update Juno DS from 1.03 to 1.04 or to latest system version 1.06

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 178852b6f/

please tell us how it works out
tomo

Re: Update DS61. DS88 to latest version 1.06

Post by tomo »

I have installed the latest version of the firmware on my new Juno DS 61 purchased this summer, which originally came with 1.04 as I recall. I've followed the instructions from the link you've posted and it went smoothly. I'm using this unit for live work and so far I haven't experienced any issues that might be firmware-related. I always use UPS unit with all my gear and would advise anyone to do so, at least when doing firmware updates. From my experience, the worst thing that can happen is the power outage during the process. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any other problems, providing that you follow the manufacturer's instruction to the letter.

Hope this helps.
o carl

Post by o carl »

thanks Tomo! Your reply, was good help to me.
did you save a backup of 1.04 Before, how many file, and how many kB would it be ?

when i do a backup i get a (user data over system and user settings), JUNO-DSA.SVD with 583 kB and (userdata over pattern) JUNO-DSA.BIN on 1 kB

i Think it would be good to have possible to save all systems settings from the old status 1.03 when the synth was new. if anyting goes wrong in future use and update. maybe some early feature get lost, that could be useful

using ups is great . What brand and type of ups is best to purcase ?
tomo

Post by tomo »

The backup function on Juno DS stores all the user data (patches, performances and settings). As far as I know, it's not possible to actually make a backup of the earlier firmware version. Theoretically, you could try to install an older version again after the later one has been applied (downgrade), but I definitely wouldn't advise that. From my experience with many keyboards and synths, there are rarely critical issues that are caused by installing the latest version of the firmware, including the case where some vital function that was previously available is now missing. But to be sure, one should always carefully read all the documentation and the history of changes that comes with the firmware.

Regarding the UPS unit, I personally use C-Lion Blazer Vista 800 VA in my studio (for computer, keyboards and other studio gear) and CyberPower BU600 for live work. The first unit has all the bells and whistles, including the display, AVR function and control software, but for live I prefer the latter because its more compact and has shuko power outlets instead of euro-type ones. Since most keyboards and synths don't consume too much power, I would say that any unit around 500-600 VA (perhaps even less) will do.
o carl

Post by o carl »

Thanks Tomo, for your 2nd reply. I help me a lot.

now i will wait to update, and dive into that early version 1.03 of Juno DS all meny and feature. to learn the synth well. there is so many feature

hope some manufactor made a simple digitalpiano piano, just for musicans , nordpiano 3 looks simply to use. but to expensive for beginners

I am new to play piano, learn by my self.