Sustain doesn't Fade Out

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Necross

Sustain doesn't Fade Out

Post by Necross »

Hi,

I'm relative new with the Roland Juno DS 61. I have a problem with the Sustain. With my previous keyboard it was possible to "fade out" the sound with pressing the sustain. When I press the sustain with the Juno-DS only the piano-sounds are fading out. All Strings, Synth, Vocal ... are getting "hold" by the sustain. I tried all Settings in Menu-System->Pedal but it just wont work.

How can I fade out (release) all the sounds?

Best regards
big jilm

Re: Sustain doesn't Fade Out

Post by big jilm »

I would like to know how to fix this as well - I want my organs, etc to hold and fade like the pianos do when I press the foot pedal.

Anyone know how to make that happen?
Bomi

Post by Bomi »

never seen on any synth or keyboard a fade out-hold for organs... don't think that this is doable.
jmharn

Post by jmharn »

Is this because you have a reversed polarity on your sustain pedal?

Some sustain pedals has polarity switch at the bottom. Otherwise, you need to get the right polarity for the right keyboard.
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

It's down to the way the patch is programmed, isn't it? If I'm not mistaken, organs in 'real life' (non-synthesized) don't typically fade on sustain. They hold until the player releases the pedal.

You can download the free Di Editor software from Roland and modify the patch parameters to create a fade, then save and use your custom patch. It's a little complicated but if you're interested let me know and I'll start you on the path...
Wackienne

Post by Wackienne »

I haven't tried this yet, but can you tweak the pedal settings in Menu>System>Pedal?
joelfan

Post by joelfan »

AaronPDX1 wrote:It's down to the way the patch is programmed, isn't it? If I'm not mistaken, organs in 'real life' (non-synthesized) don't typically fade on sustain. They hold until the player releases the pedal.

You can download the free Di Editor software from Roland and modify the patch parameters to create a fade, then save and use your custom patch. It's a little complicated but if you're interested let me know and I'll start you on the path...
You're right, Aaron.
It's up to the patch.
If you program the patch to continue after the release of the key, it will, and will continue until you release the pedal. You can program "gentle fade-out" copying piano patches.
Astronautilus

Post by Astronautilus »

As others have suggested, the sustain pedal behaviour you want is quite possible.

It's just that conventionally, some voices such as organs are gated; ie. either on or off. If you press sustain, you just hold the 'on', until you release it. The Juno DS factory organ sounds tend to follow this convention, and the envelope will mostly emulate the 'gate'.

The envelope for other voices (such as pianos) use the full possibilities of the envelope generator (typically attack, decay, sustain, release), and not just for amplitude... the Juno DS also has envelope generators for controlling pitch, filter and even waveform cross-modulation. And the way the envelope generators are affected by the sustain pedal is completely programmable.

Bottom line... there's nothing to stop you breaking convention and applying the dynamics of (say) a piano or a xylophone to an organ voice. Get yourself the Juno Di Editor, read the Juno DS parameter guide, and get programming!