Another noob question about Juno DS61

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
panicPatch

Another noob question about Juno DS61

Post by panicPatch »

Hi everyone,

I am a piano player and about to purchase my first synthesizer. I will play it at small venue gigs so I need something small and light - hence I am set on the 61 keys version. I read extensively in the past days about key beds, about Roland, Korg, Yamaha and Casio, I know that 88-keys version have different key beds than 73/61 synths (tried an FA-08 and Krome 81 at Guitar Center) but in this case the size and weight does matter (and I will adapt to synth action if I have to).

Right now my first preference is Juno DS61. So here is my beginner's question: let's say I am playing organ (both hands) and at some point I want to split the keyboard and play steel guitar with my left hand (while still playing organ with my right). I want this to happen completely transparent to the audience, without affecting the organ sound (no interruptions, sound artifacts, etc.) while operating the buttons. Is this possible with Juno DS61 ? Or do I need to step up to FA-06 ?

I know the technical differences between DS61 and FA-06 (supernatural sounds, linear sequencer, 16 patches, etc.), but is it FA-06 much better _on stage_ than DS61 ? I want to emphasize the playing on *stage* goal here as opposed to studio work (where, I course, I would look at FA-08).

Being a beginner, I wonder whether I will use, or need the power of the FA-06 in this case (i.e., I would prefer not paying $500 more for features I won't use).

Thank you.
anotherscott

Re: Another noob question about Juno DS61

Post by anotherscott »

panicPatch wrote:So here is my beginner's question: let's say I am playing organ (both hands) and at some point I want to split the keyboard and play steel guitar with my left hand (while still playing organ with my right). I want this to happen completely transparent to the audience, without affecting the organ sound (no interruptions, sound artifacts, etc.) while operating the buttons. Is this possible with Juno DS61 ? Or do I need to step up to FA-06 ?
The DS can do this. I don't know whether or not the FA can do this.

On the DS, you would set up a Split, with the same sound on both sides of the split (in this case, organ), and put your cursor on the left-side sound location. Now you can change your left-side sound at any time, without glitching the right hand sound that you're holding.
yannleo

Post by yannleo »

panicPatch wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a piano player and about to purchase my first synthesizer. I will play it at small venue gigs so I need something small and light - hence I am set on the 61 keys version. I read extensively in the past days about key beds, about Roland, Korg, Yamaha and Casio, I know that 88-keys version have different key beds than 73/61 synths (tried an FA-08 and Krome 81 at Guitar Center) but in this case the size and weight does matter (and I will adapt to synth action if I have to).

Right now my first preference is Juno DS61. So here is my beginner's question: let's say I am playing organ (both hands) and at some point I want to split the keyboard and play steel guitar with my left hand (while still playing organ with my right). I want this to happen completely transparent to the audience, without affecting the organ sound (no interruptions, sound artifacts, etc.) while operating the buttons. Is this possible with Juno DS61 ? Or do I need to step up to FA-06 ?

I know the technical differences between DS61 and FA-06 (supernatural sounds, linear sequencer, 16 patches, etc.), but is it FA-06 much better _on stage_ than DS61 ? I want to emphasize the playing on *stage* goal here as opposed to studio work (where, I course, I would look at FA-08).

Being a beginner, I wonder whether I will use, or need the power of the FA-06 in this case (i.e., I would prefer not paying $500 more for features I won't use).

Thank you.
What you are doing is exactly what I am doing at most of time. Simply you need to save these two scenarios as two Performances(one with split and one without split),and then you just register these two Performances as Favorites. When you are playing you just use two favorite buttons to switch between saved Performances. If you hold the sustain pedal while switching the performances,there is no interruption of sound.Sometimes I save 3~4 performaces for one complex song. Each performance consists of a specific pattern of layerring and split. I use favorite buttons to switch among them smoothly without any sound artifacts.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

yannleo wrote:Simply you need to save these two scenarios as two Performances(one with split and one without split),and then you just register these two Performances as Favorites. When you are playing you just use two favorite buttons to switch between saved Performances. If you hold the sustain pedal while switching the performances,there is no interruption of sound.Sometimes I save 3~4 performaces for one complex song. Each performance consists of a specific pattern of layerring and split. I use favorite buttons to switch among them smoothly without any sound artifacts.
Yes, that's another good way to do it, if you're using the same combinations all the time. BTW, that won't work on an FA, since the FA does not let you seamlessly switch between a Patch (Tone on an FA) and a Performance (Studio Set on an FA) as you can on a DS, nor seamlessly switch from one Performance (Studio Set) to another. On the FA, if you want to seamlessly switch among combinations of sounds (and not merely between individual Patches/Tones), you can only do it within a Studio Set (a user-specified set of up to 16 tones). That still works well for most purposes (you can create numerous Studio Sets as needed), but is not as flexible as what you can do on the DS, and requires more planning, as you need to pre-plan each set of 16 individual tones/patches you may want to seamlessly switch among (singly or in combination). Once you start talking about split and layered sounds (as opposed to individual tones/patches), you can't seamlessly switch from almost-anything to almost-anything-else on an FA as you can on a DS.
yannleo

Post by yannleo »

anotherscott wrote:
yannleo wrote:Simply you need to save these two scenarios as two Performances(one with split and one without split),and then you just register these two Performances as Favorites. When you are playing you just use two favorite buttons to switch between saved Performances. If you hold the sustain pedal while switching the performances,there is no interruption of sound.Sometimes I save 3~4 performaces for one complex song. Each performance consists of a specific pattern of layerring and split. I use favorite buttons to switch among them smoothly without any sound artifacts.
Yes, that's another good way to do it, if you're using the same combinations all the time. BTW, that won't work on an FA, since the FA does not let you seamlessly switch between a Patch (Tone on an FA) and a Performance (Studio Set on an FA) as you can on a DS, nor seamlessly switch from one Performance (Studio Set) to another. On the FA, if you want to seamlessly switch among combinations of sounds (and not merely between individual Patches/Tones), you can only do it within a Studio Set (a user-specified set of up to 16 tones). That still works well for most purposes (you can create numerous Studio Sets as needed), but is not as flexible as what you can do on the DS, and requires more planning, as you need to pre-plan each set of 16 individual tones/patches you may want to seamlessly switch among (singly or in combination). Once you start talking about split and layered sounds (as opposed to individual tones/patches), you can't seamlessly switch from almost-anything to almost-anything-else on an FA as you can on a DS.
Yes,FA and Moxf use the same way. You could only switch layer&split combination inside Studioset(FA)or Pattern/Song(Moxf).
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

yannleo wrote:Yes,FA and Moxf use the same way. You could only switch layer&split combination inside Studioset(FA)or Pattern/Song(Moxf).
Correct, although FA also lets you seamlessly switch between most single tones, which the MOXF does not. But it's another case where each has a bunch of features that the other does not.